Chapter 6: Deadlines

Shinobu Kocho

Giyu was at the other side of the room, not really talking to anyone. Mitsuri dragged me away and she was talking about something. Drunk Mitsuri + gossiping equals no privacy. Anything she keeps a secret gets spilled out.

"Did you know Doumaaaaaaaaa has slept with half the giiiiirls in his schoooool?" Mitsuri said. "Alsoooo...Ellie has a crush on Giyu."

I sighed. The party was so loud. I walked over to Giyu.

"Yea?" He asked. I stared at him blankly.

"I-"

Suddenly, the table fell and the chandelier nearly hit us. Giyu grabbed me and pulled me aside. Kanae stared at me in shock. The music had stopped. Then Kanae rushed over.

"Oh no...Shinobu..." she grabbed me and brushed off the glass.

"Don't worry! Everyone, continue!" Kanae called out. The music started blaring again.

"Giyu. Can you get Shinobu back to her dorm?" Kanae asked. He nodded.

We drove back in silence. Then I asked Giyu, "Can I hang out with my sister tomorrow?"

"Why not." He said monotonously.

After we were back in the dorm, I waved goodbye and he watched me walk into the dorms.

***

Someone's thoughts...

Damn it. Giyu dodged just in time! My timing wasn't right! Master will definitely punish me! I have to try again. Whoever gets on master's bad side doesn't get to live another day...

***

Spending time with Kanae has always been amazing, but I couldn't shake the feeling of Mitsuri only spending time with me because of my sister. We were back at the airport, this time saying our goodbyes.

"I'll miss you!" I said sadly.

"I know. It's been fun though!" Kanae smiled at me. "Be good Shinobu!" I waved as she walked off.

"Shinobu...why do you seem to avoid me so much?" Mitsuri asked.

"It's nothing." I said dismissively.

"Well...do you hate me?" Mitsuri asked sadly. I realized what a messed up friend I had been for the past days. I hadn't spoke to Mitsuri in forever, and we hadn't really interacted.

"I guess...I'm sorry if I made you feel that way Mitsuri." I said. She smiled.

"It's fine. Maybe you need a Shinobu day! A self care day just for you!" I smiled.

"I think so too."

***

Weeks later...

"Everyone. You have to turn in your project by tomorrow." The teacher said.

I tapped Giyu on the shoulder. "We have everything, right?" My head was a little dizzy today, but nothing bad. Just a bit of the chills, that's all.

"Yup. I'll double check it." He looked at me with concern. "You good?"

"Ara ara Tomioka, concerned?" I asked jokingly.

"Your face is pale." He said slowly, as if trying to make me understand.

"It's always pale." I said impatiently.

"Silence up there!" The teacher yelled and we quieted down.

"Don't worry." I said. "We'll easily win."