Chapter 16: Unexpected Visitors

"Where the hell did I put it?!" I hissed to myself. I rummaged through the drawers of the front desk, scouring the papers and files, and even the junk in the junk drawer. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where I lost my name-tag. I had it the previous evening when I had sleepily put away my files, but I couldn't remember having it after that.

      "Ay toots, you good?" Angel asked, standing over me with a concerned look on his face. I sighed.

     "Unfortunately, no. I can't seem to find my stupid name tag which I need to be wearing when I'm on the clock, which I currently am supposed to be." I explained. Angel furrowed his brow.

"Shit that's no good. Did ya try retracing your steps?" He asked. I sighed frustratedly.

"Yes. I ransacked my entire room, I looked in the hallways, I even looked in the kitchen. I couldn't find it anywhere.." I told him. Suddenly I felt something tug my leg. I looked down and there stood a little egg with a face. It was Frank. He was one of the little egg men that belonged to Sir Pentious, our newest hotel guest. He moved in around a week ago. He managed to tear off part of Al's coat which pissed him off, and then pissed off the rest of us when we found out he was spying on us for the V's. None of us trusted him a lot after that, but he's seemed to be actually trying to redeem himself since then. I didn't mind him too much, but his eggs tended to be a bit annoying. They wander randomly sometimes, especially if Pentious is busy. I knew they meant well but that didn't mean I liked them. I took a deep breath.

"Yes Frank? Do you need something buddy?" I asked him. He nodded and pulled out my portable radio, holding it out to me. I gasped lightly as I took it.

"Boss said to give this to you! He said he borrowed it while he was building and he's done with it now." Frank said in his usual happy go lucky voice. I grumbled. I was wondering where my radio had suddenly disappeared to...it was a gift from Al anyway, and he never mentioned anything about it being able to grow legs, so I figured someone took it or that I had lost it in the hotel somewhere.

"Tell your boss to quit taking my things without asking first, ok Frank?" I asked. He nodded. I patted him on his little egg boy head. "Good, thank you. Now, skedaddle." I said. As soon as I said it, Frank ran off. Angel sighed.

"Gonna tell Charlie?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No, that'll just end with us being put through another mandatory four hour exercise to teach him basic social etiquette....thats a last resort for me." I answered. I stroked my thumb along the bronze metallic speaker grate on the radio. I smiled softly at it as I turned and put it down on the table next to me.

"I don't blame ya doll." He said with a smirk. We both looked at the clock and Angel heaved a tired sigh.

"Guess I'd better get going. Val's got me on another long shoot tomorrow, so I'm going to get a manicure. See ya later bitch." He said, putting on his sunglasses and waving to me.

"Ok. See ya later hoe." I said as he walked out the door. A second after he left I went straight back to looking for my name tag. I checked through the file drawer meticulously. When I was about halfway through the files, I heard my radio make a static sound before it started playing. I lifted my head from the files as the song played. I knew this one, it was Merry-go-round broke down. He's given up on being sneaky I see.

"Everything alright my dear?" I heard Al say from behind me. I shook my head.

"No, I can't find my-" just before I could finish that sentence, my name tag appeared right in front of my eyes, between two of Al's fingers.

"Is this what you've been missing?" He asked me. I smiled, grabbing it from him.

"You took it so you could give it to me before I found it, didn't you?" I asked. Al laughed heartily.