Chapter 2 The Fairy by the Window

"Felix, do get in!" Felix Frost's good friend Albert hailed him from his carriage as he passed by, stopping a stone's throw from him. Felix Frost, dressed to the nines as befitting his wealthy but modest station in society, shook his head patronizingly, as though his slothful friend could never understand the benefits of a good walk, being holed up in his opulent carriage.

"Albert, try as you might, you'll never get me to forsake my morning walk. I prefer it any day to that stuffy carriage." Felix drew near the carriage to speak to his friend. Albert pouted.

"But Miss Caroline and Miss Heather await us at the teahouse and I must say, it wouldn't be proper to keep such fine, charming women from our presence! We must get there posthaste!"

"I feel no such obligation as I have mentioned several times before to meet the debutantes you would have me court, nor do I nurse the desire to do so. Now if you'll excuse me, I must get on." Albert groaned.

"One of these days, you'll find yourself looking in the mirror and seeing a wizened old bachelor and end up dying alone, a celibate."

"Your cheerful predictions are best kept to yourself, Albert," Felix smiled at his friend's dismal outlook, "call on me when you finish your flirtations." Albert waved his hand away in dismissal, giving up on his friend. As his carriage rolled away, Felix paused by a particular wall, inhaled the primroses that grew flourishingly by it, and then lifted his gaze to the window a floor above.

"There she is," he whispered to himself, as his eyes fell on a dainty, fairy-like face, a face that didn't see him. "The fairy by the window. Such a rare beauty... and yet never seen in society. I wonder who she is, why she keeps to herself and never comes out... Perhaps like a fairy, she only comes out when humans are not around..." He gazed longingly at her for a minute longer then walked along, his heart left behind under the window.

Felix passed by that window every morning simply to get a glimpse of the magical young lady whose beauty reminded him of the surreal woodland creature. Although he longed to meet the fairy who held his attention every morning, he feared such a meeting might scare the lovely creature away and reluctantly, he tore himself from Trenton Street and dragged himself back to his estate where a grueling pile of paperwork awaited him.

He had much to be proud of, a stupendous estate in the country, an admirable inheritance, loyal servants at his bidding and a well established place in society. The only thing he lacked was a beloved partner to share it all with. Solitude was the only mistress he unwillingly courted.

Oh, what misery it was, living a bachelor and heir to an estate with every luxury at his disposal and having nothing to look forward to but lonely nights by the fire and documents to keep him company.

How he wished it was a lovely wife instead, and how he longed for that wife to be the fairy by the window. But what could ever draw a fairy out?