Chapter 3 Something in the Rain

Sunday church service was the only event that drew Annemarie out of the house. It was the only joy she found without the four walls of her room. Otherwise, she was content with her solitary feminine activities of embroidery, drawing, playing the harpsichord, or arranging flowers around the house. Yet, as accomplished as she was, none of those activities satisfied the longing in her heart.

Except for catching a glimpse of the object of her affections.

One particularly cloudy Sunday found her strolling out of church under her parasol, her parents lingering behind to discuss the dreadful forthcoming weather with the other wealthy patrons of society. Annemarie sighed—such worthless discussions bored her immensely. And she did not feel the weather was dreadful, she loved the petrichor and the glisten of raindrops everywhere. Not that it had rained more than a drizzle...

Still, she snuck away from the dismal faction and took a stroll by herself down to Trenton Park. For some reason, she had the urge to take a walk in the great outdoors and refresh her soul with nature before returning to her usual activities.

Besides, she had to avoid the prospect of getting betrothed to the first suitor who passed by her family's sight outdoors.

She walked along the manicured verdant path, humming to herself and twirling her parasol. How lovely a change of scenery was! The only thing she regretted was not being able to see her beloved gentleman in the top hat as he passed by her window today—she hoped to see him tomorrow.

She was a good mile through the park enjoying the misty air and view of Trenton Pond which was occupied by a family of ducks when suddenly—the sky opened and it began to rain again. And not just rain, oh how it poured!

Annemarie took off on her heels, hunting for some shelter—her parasol was no help in a downpour like this, it was already soaked and would soon soak her head. Unfortunately, none of the trees nearby provided adequate shelter and soon she began to despair. She'd have to run through the entire park to find shelter in a nearby emporium at best if she wanted to escape the downpour. But she'd be soaked to her bone if she did and catch a dreadful cold! What was she to do?

"Milady! Over here!" Someone called out to her. She turned around and saw a man walking through the shower with a large, welcoming black umbrella.

"I thought you might need some help," the man said loudly over the thundering torrent. "Since I've plenty of umbrella to spare, would you join me?"

"That's very kind of you sir, thank you," Annemarie replied equally loudly as the rain was drowning out their voices. The man took her under his umbrella, drawing her to him. Seeing him up close, Annemarie thought he was rather young, not much older than herself, but still clothed as a gentleman. He had softly-hewn features, a clean-shaven jaw apart from his sideburns, curly copper hair, and pearlescent blue eyes, the color of hydrangeas. It was those kind eyes that made her heart skip a beat, they were so friendly and inviting.

"Careful Miss, it's terribly slippery here," he said, drawing a hand around her vicinity protectively but refraining from touching her.

"I've a firm footing, sir, thank you," Annemarie replied. "Would you be so kind as to take me to the entrance of the park? I can find my way from there."

"I'm afraid it'll be hard just to find our way there in this shower, Miss," the young gentleman shook his head, "I can barely make out the path. Look." He was right because as Annemarie looked around, the deluge had blurred everything so that it was hard to see past a step ahead.

"Oh dear. What shall we do?" Annemarie asked worriedly. "We can't stand here in the middle of the rain until it stops."

"I'm familiar with a pavilion nearby," the gentleman replied. "It isn't very far and we can take shelter there until it clears up a bit. It's better shelter than my umbrella." Annemarie debated. Should she brave through the storm or wait it out?

A strong gust of wind billowed her gown and sprayed it with rain making her decide—better wait the ferocious storm out!

She and the gentleman sprang together to the pavilion, a welcoming shelter from the cramped umbrella. There was a bench running right around it and they took a seat next to each other. Annemarie took off her shawl and flapped it for it was damp and quite useless for warmth now. However, she began to shiver as a gust of wind blew again.

"Here, allow me, please." The gentleman immediately took off his great coat and put it on her. Touched by his kindness, she inclined her head in gratitude.

"Thank you, sir, I'd have been in quite a predicament if not for your help," she said. He smiled at her.

"Well, I couldn't leave a maiden to face this testy weather all by herself." Annemarie laughed softly at that. Although she was stranded in the middle of the park with no way back until the downpour subsided, she felt grateful for the kind company beside her. For she had never been this close to a gentleman before. Neither did she ever feel so warm inside despite the chilly wind.

Was it because of the sweet-faced young gentleman? Or maybe it was something in the rain.