Weddings & Lawsuits

"You're very late," Frozone said flatly. Mr. Incredible fumbled with his bow tie. "How do I look?" he asked.

"The mask!" Frozone said, stopping him. "You've still got the mask on!"

Frozone pulled the mask off Mr. Incredible. Mr. Incredible took a deep breath and pushed open the chapel doors. Smartly dressed in a black tuxedo again, he stepped down the aisle of the humongous cathedral.

Frozone, his best man, followed him.

They walked to the altar, where Mr. Incredible's beautiful bride waited. The ceremony began. "Robert Parr, will you have this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

His wife-to-be, Elastigirl, also known as Helen, whispered, "Cutting it kind of close, don't you think?"

Mr. Incredible smiled. "You need to be more flexible," he replied with a wink.

The ceremony concluded: "As long as you both shall live?"

"I do," answered Mr. Incredible, taking Elastigirl in his arms. The crowd of Supers in the cathedral stood up and cheered.

"As long as we both shall live," Elastigirl promised. "No matter what happens."

"We're Supers," Mr. Incredible said confidently. "What could happen?"

"This flash from the news desk: In a stunning turn of events, a teen sued a Super for failing to save the teen's friends, family, and teacher from a hostage situation. The plaintiff, whose friends, family, and teacher died in the incident, has filed a suit against the famed hero, Mr. Incredible, in Superior Court."

On the crowded steps of the courthouse, a lawyer spoke to the media. "My client's friends, families, and teacher's lives were on the line, and the so-called hero failed to do so," he said dryly.

A masked Mr. Incredible in a blue business suit and tie appeared on the courthouse steps. "I tried to save them!" he said, pointing to his accuser.

"You ruined my life!" the teen shouted back.

Suddenly, it seemed to be open season on Supers everywhere. The newspapers had headlines accusing the Supers of harming, not helping, people. The lawsuits began to pile up.

Even the government turned against them. "It is time for their secret identities to become their only identities," one congresswoman demanded. "Time for them to join us or go away."

There were some protests in favor of the Supers. But finally, under tremendous pressure and a mountain of lawsuits, the government quietly initiated the Super Relocation Program (SRP). Supers promised never to use their Superpowers again in exchange for anonymity.

The Supers found themselves with new names and identities. From now on, they would live average lives, quietly blending in with the rest of society.

And just like that, the golden age of Supers was over.