2 Ex-Supers

Lucius flew to a run-down part of the city and parked in an alleyway. He and Bob weren't going bowling. Instead, they sat in the car and reminisced about the old days while a portable police scanner hissed dispatch calls.

"So now I'm in deep trouble." Lucius laughed, telling Bob a story from his past. "I mean, one more jolt of this death ray, and I'm an epitaph. So, what does Baron Von Worthless do?"

"He starts monologuing!" Bob cracked up.

"He starts monologuing! He starts this, like, prepared speech about how feeble I am, how inevitable my defeat is, how the world will soon be his, yadda yadda yadda."

"Yammering!" Bob said, loving the story.

"Yammering," Lucius said even more loudly. "The guy has me on a platter, and he won't shut up!"

A call suddenly crackled over the scanner: "Twenty-three fifty-six in progress."

"Twenty-three fifty-six," Bob repeated. "What is that . . . robbery? Wanna catch a robber?"

"Tell you the truth," Lucius answered, "I'd rather go bowling. What if we did what our wives think we're doing for a change?"

. . .

As the former Supers continued talking, they didn't even realize a beautiful brunette was watching them across the street on a rooftop. A beautiful brunette spoke into a watch communicator.

"He's not alone," she said. "The fat guy's still with him."

. . .

The words "Fire at Fourth and Elias" came across Lucius's scanner. Bob lit up like a bulb.

"A fire! Yeah, baby!" Bob said, pulling on a ski mask. Lucius did the same, turned on the car, and headed towards Fourth and Elias.

"We're going to get caught," Lucius said.

As they tore down the street, a hoverboard followed them.

. . .

Bob and Lucius could see the orange glow of the burning apartment building from a block away. They were the first to arrive at the scene. Together, they ran into the burning building, found the unconscious apartment dwellers, and stacked them on their shoulders.

"Is that everybody?" Lucius shouted to Bob.

"It should be," Bob answered through the thick smoke, trying to make his way back into the street. "Can't you put this out?"

Lucius tried to ice the flames. "I can't lay down a layer thick enough!" he said. "It's evaporating too fast!"

"What does that mean?" shouted Bob.

"It means it's hot, and I'm dehydrated, Bob!"

"What?" yelled Bob. "You're out of ice? I thought you could use the water in the air!"

"There is no water in this air! What's your excuse? Run out of muscles?"

They then heard an incredible roar. They looked up. The flaming roof was about to collapse and trap them inside. Lucius shook his head and looked at Bob. "I wanted to go bowling!" he said, scowling.

A large chunk of the ceiling suddenly smashed to the floor in a burning heap. Bob looked around and spotted a way out. He shifted his stack of unconscious victims to one shoulder and looked at Lucius.