~Chapter 18~

YaaaY! you guys did it! 1000 reads, so yes, later today i will be uploading chapter 19 aswell!
Video on the side is basically an explination of what barrel racing is. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1WeySE6EM

~reachingforthestarsx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Chapter 18

I walked Talia in a circle before entering the chute. Her ears perked up and she started to do her little hop/side shuffle thing that she does when she gets excited and wants to go but I don’t let her. I let her hop for a bit more until I release the tension on the reins and we shoot off. I kicked my legs all the way to first barrel where I squeezed her sides and pulled back on the right rein. I sit back so that she can get around the barrel easily. Once she does that I kick out of the barrel, running straight to second. We do the same as last time, but instead I’m pulling back on the left rein. I lean down and pound my legs against Talia’s sides as we run towards third. Just before we make it to the barrel, I sit back, stop kicking, squeeze, and pull her around it. Again, I lean down, furiously kick my legs, and we gallop home. I gross the timing beam and slow Talia down.

“Whoa, that was a fast run. Ashley Carter and Too Close For Comfort have a time of 16.339, the new time to beat. Next we have a drag…” I zoned out after I heard my time. New time to beat? Awesome!

I patted Talia on the neck and made my way over to my coaches, friends, and Christina.

“That was awesome, Ash! Way to go!” Trey exclaimed as he patter Talia’s neck. Debby stroked her head, “Yeah that was spectacular. That’s what I like to see. You kept on her at all times. You deserved to get that time to beat.”

I beamed at both of them, “Thanks guys, it means a lot. But Talia’s huffin’ and puffin’ so I should go and walk her out.” I said as I backed her away from them. They both nodded I made my way into the warm up ring. I took my hat off my head and placed it on my horn as I flung my head back and forth to get rid of my hat hair. Once I was finished that, I placed the hat back onto my head again, but I put the strap behind me, not under my chin.

It was getting a bit warmer out now so I also unbuttoned my show shirt. I continued to walk Talia out, around and around the ring, until her breathing went back to normal. Then, I went back over to the trailer to un-tack her and brush her off a bit. She had sweat lines where the saddle bad was so I brushed them all away. Then I grabbed her halter and reins and lead her back out front. Debby and Trey gave me a questioning look until I mouthed bare-back to them. They smiled and nodded. I took off my show shirt and hat, threw them in Trey’s face, and walked to the warm up ring once again. I could hear the faint, ‘ow’ and the laughs from the rest of the girls as I stood next to Talia to get on. Grinning, I hopped a bit, before launching myself on her back. She stood completely still and I swung one leg over her back. I got comfortable and walked into the ring.

I loved the feeling of being bareback. It always felt like you were making a stronger connection with your horse because there wasn’t a saddle separating you. No one else was in the ring that I was in so I took the opportunity to the fullest. I decided to put my legs on her but and rest my head on her shoulder blades. Everything was so relaxing, so I had decided to close my eyes for a bit.

I hit the ground with a thud. I suddenly heard a huge round of laughter surround me. I opened my eyes, shielding them from the setting sun.

“Have a nice sleep there?” Debby questioned, leaning over me. I looked over and noticed Trey was holding Talia, giving her a treat.

“What the hell happened?” I groggily asked them. Ugh, it’s my sleepy voice.

“Well, you fell asleep on Talia for a good 2 hours. I don’t know how you managed to stay on, but you were out like a baby. You wouldn’t wake up to our screams so we had to push you off,” she told me, giving out her hand to help me up. I stretched and walked over to Trey, snatching my reins from his hands. I matched my glare to his smirk.

“You are all assholes.” I grumbled, making my way out of the warm up ring. They doubled over laughing at that, and I made my way over to the barn to give Talia her night grain.

I put her in her stall, closed the door, and grabbed the scoop and bucket. I filled it up with her vitamins, red dog, and corn and shoved it in her stall, where she eagerly ate it. I then filled up her water bucket, giving that to her as well. Finally, I put her hay in the corner, locked the door, and left the barn.

I reached the trailer to find everyone but Christina grinning like fools at me. “What’s your problem?” I asked, about to walk into the trailer. Trey grabbed my arm to stop me.

“Today’s barrels are over…” he said slowly.

“Yeah, and?”

“Your time was never beaten. You came in first!” Debby cut in, pulling me into a hug. I was stunned.

“Seriously?!” I asked, hugging her back.

“100% darling!” she screamed in my ear, making me cringe.

“I’m so proud of you! Now go and get your cheque!” she called to me. I turned to look at the other girls, “How did you guys do?”

“I came in 2nd, in the 2D, Christina came in 1st in the 2D, and Amanda knocked, leaving her with nothing.” Kristina told me, holding up her cheque.

“Congrats guys!” I told them before walking off. Trey stopped me, “You have to wear this.” He told me, handing me my shirt and hat, “Seriously?” I asked in disbelief. He nodded. “There are reporter’s here.” I scowled, pulling my shirt on, tucking it into my pants, and throwing my hat over my head. By now, there were only lamps illuminating the walkway to the arena.

I walked up to the announcer’s booth. “Ashley Carter.” I proclaimed, as they looked me over. Once they finished, they had huge smiles on their faces.

“Your accent, where are you from?” they asked me, motioning two very bored looking reporter’s over.

“Canada. I’m here on a barrel scholarship at Nottingham.” I easily replied. The reporter’s scribbled that down on their notepads, and then began to shout out questions at me.

“Where in Canada? Who are your trainers? Did you leave anyone behind in Canada? Why did you decide to come to Nottingham, out of all the universities? How do you know Niall Horan?” the last question caught me off guard. “I’m from Ontario, Canada, and my current trainers are Debby Brown and Trey Mallark. But my trainer back home is Kathleen Johnson. I also left my friends behind in Canada; I miss them so much. And I guess I decided on Nottingham because I had always wanted to go there ever since I started riding, plus I love England so much. How I know Niall is a long story, and if you look at their last twitcam, you can find out how.” I stated before taking my cheque and walking out of the arena.

Why did they care about how I knew Niall? Jeez some people are stupid. Speaking of Niall, I haven’t checked my phone lately. I pulled out my phone to see, ‘2 new messages.’ Flashing on the screen. My stomach did a summersault, but quickly dropped as I read the messages.

From: EllaBella- Good luck at your shows this weekend! Theres a live broadcast so I’ll be watching!

From: Nathan- Killer run, miss  you and I cant believe im saying this but love you!

No new texts from Niall. I don’t know why this was affecting me so much, but it was.

I was staring at my phone for so long; I didn’t even look to where I was going. When I did look up, I realized that I completely passed the trailer, and was in a huge, empty field of grass. I turned around, only to smash into someone’s body and fall to the ground.

“Do you mind?!” I almost yelled, but more people stepped from around the person. They were all wearing black sweaters, with the hoods pulled up. I counted a total of 8 people. They all started laughing at my outburst. I tried walking away but one of them caught my wrist. I spun around to see them taking off their hoods. I was shocked at what I saw.

“What are you doing here?!” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Oou, who is it? ;) find out later today!
I never imagined that i would ever reach 1000 reads, like wow, thank you to everyone that has read this book.

Vote, Comment, Fan, Share?

~reachingforthestarsx