~Chapter 36~

Chapter 36

Groaning, I stretched my arms behind my head and cracked my knuckles in my hands and feet. I lightly coughed and opened my eyes, feeling fully refreshed. I only sleep well after riding; it’s about time I’ve felt like this. Pushing back the blankets on my bed, I started to climb out until I realized that there was a black lump next to my leg. My eyes focused on what it was and I let out a blood-curling scream.

Trying to scramble away from the spider as fast as I could, I ended up getting my foot caught in the edge of the sheets, making me fall flat on my face. I could feel my heart rate pick up and I started hyper ventilate, making myself go dizzy from it all. After my foot came loose, I ran to the door as quickly as I could, only to realize that there was another spider on the handle!

Tears started streaming down my face as I began to turn in circles, looking for an escape! I can’t believe that there were spiders in here! Turning back to the door, I realized that the spider on the handle and the bed haven’t moved. Wiping my tears, I looked at the one on the handle closer. Poking it, I quickly realized that it was… rubber? Nathan.

“NATHAN JOHNSON YOU ARE SO DEAD!” I screamed, yanking the fake spider off the handle and throwing open the door, to reveal Nathan rolling on the floor with laughter. Stalking over, I kicked him in the stomach and walked down the stairs, leaving him groaning in pain. Kathleen cocked an eyebrow at my attire; usually I come downstairs in clothing, not pyjamas. Grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl, I took a seat at the counter.

“Kelsey and I are going to the tack shop; do you need anything?” Kathleen asked while looking through a couple of flyers.

“Well, I want some purple Classic Equine Legacy boots, along with the paint splatter bell boots. Oh and a Professionals Choice orthopedic tie dye saddle pad.” She nodded and wrote everything down on a note pad. Smiling, I stood up and walked back up stairs and got changed for the day. Nathan was nowhere to be seen but I noticed a camera perched on fireplace mantle. Rolling my eyes, I picked it up and threw it at Nathan’s closed door.

After I finished getting changed, I pulled on a pair of rubber boots and my camo baseball cap. Strutting out the door in my hick get up, I made my way across the road, only to be stopped by Sonia and Ella on the four wheelers. “Get on loser; we’re going mudding.” Sonia called over the roar of the engine. “Did you just do a play on Mean Girls?” I questioned, laughing. They laughed with me while Sonia got off her four-wheeler to climb onto the back of Ella’s.

“Isn’t little miss perfect scared of getting dirty?” I teased Sonia, who rolled her eyes in response, “Hell no! This is the country!”

We laughed and pulled onto the dirt path that leads to the forest behind the house. I pulled the throttle down the handle to make it go to its maximum speed, making mud splash all over Ella and Sonia. I heard them scream in protest and I quickly darted through the trails, only slowing down the turn. Before I knew it we were coming up to the muddiest part and I pushed onto the throttle as hard as I could. Because of my speed, I ended up skimming over the mud, making it all splash on my legs and back. Sadly, I couldn’t say the same for Sonia and Ella. I heard them scream and the four-wheeler cut out just as I got through, making me stop.

I cut the engine and turned around, my hand flying up to my mouth to stop myself from laughing at the scene. The four-wheeler ran out of gas and stopped in the middle of the pit and was slowly sinking. Ella and Sonia were now covered in mud up to their waists since they were sitting down. Luckily the pit wasn’t that deep so the vehicle didn’t sink much further.

Whipping out my phone, I took a picture at their pouting faces and tweeted it.

@ashley_carter: