Chapter 7

The engineer took a few steps back from the sub, crossing his arms as he stood next to Stockton.

"Yep, Titan is fine. But I think soon it'll be time to replace the plexiglass." He told his boss.

Stockton's mind froze for a split second after hearing the name of his sub out loud. He didn't understand how such a small word could affect him so much.

He blinked a few times.

"I'm not worried about the acrylic. It's tough. I just want to make sure the hull is a'okay."

Two more engineers were inside the sub, triple checking the durability of everything else on board.

"Yeah, we don't have to worry about that until around next year's expedition. Uh.. although the hull is fine. There's no cracks or imperfections. She's safe to dive. We'll also do another inspection before each dive." The engineer replied.

"Yeah, I know." Stockton said.

"Thank you." He added after realizing he might've sounded disrespectful.

After everyone left, Stockton stayed alone in the huge garage. He stared at the submersible in front of him.

The dream of him getting crushed by the hull kept replaying in his head. But, he hadn't seen that person in his dreams ever since - and he was almost convinced that his brain was just being extra 'creative' that night. He did drink a little before bed.

Stockton decided to sit down in the sub, to try and get used to it when nobody else was around. If he freaked out, nobody would have to see it again. He needed to get used to the sub again, before he goes back to the Atlantic.

He slowly crawled in, trying not to move much. It was stupid, but he felt like if he even bumped against the wall, it'd all come crashing down on him.

He sat in the back, the typical pilot position. It seemed even smaller than he remembered. And now, without realizing, his breathing got shallow.

They cleaned the sub. Really, really well. There wasn't even a hint of the odor that was in the sub when it was found. Not a speck of blood had been missed. The monitors and the camera had all been replaced. For commoners, it would almost be like getting a new car.

But.. Something was still off. He was just tortured in this vessel a year ago. Now he's supposed to just.. go back in as a pilot - again, as if nothing happened?

Maybe he shouldn't have went in here alone. Maybe he shouldn't.. Maybe he shouldn't be the pilot for this mission. There isn't enough time for him to prepare. They're supposed to be in Canada next week!

At least he'll be on the mission with Paul-Henri. And 3.. strangers. Just like last time. He doesn't know if he can trust these people this time. But he needs the money and attention from guests to support these dives, so he can start doing the missions that he really wants to do - like the Black Sea.

As soon as money entered his mind, his worries stopped. Mostly. What would be the chance that another person will pay money commit suicide on his sub? Hah! That's.. It's almost unbelievable that it'd happen once. But he was there for it, so.. It's not really unbelievable then, he thought.

Suddenly, the inside of the sub went dark. The lights in the garage had turned off due to inactivity. He was surrounded in pitch black darkness, and suddenly, he was back under the ocean.

Once again, the smell of blood entered his nose.

No, no, no. This isn't supposed to happen! Why is he still having flashbacks? It's been a year already! How long is this supposed to go on for?!