12.) Going Home

The tension in the room was palpable, a heavy blanket of anticipation that seemed to suffocate the very air. The families stood on either side of the supervisor's desk, their eyes locked onto the coin that rested in her outstretched hand. The weight of the decision that was about to be made hung in the air like a storm cloud, casting a shadow over the room.

"A coin flip shall decide," the supervisor announced, her voice steady but carrying the weight of the moment. The simplicity of the method was stark in contrast to the gravity of the situation it was about to determine. It seemed almost absurd that something so trivial could hold the power to shape Hyein's future.

As the coin spun through the air, time seemed to stretch, each moment elongated by the weight of expectation. Hearts pounded, breaths were held, and the world seemed to narrow down to the single metallic disc that was suspended in mid-air.

"Heads for Minji and Hanni, while tails is for Haerin and Danielle," the supervisor's voice cut through the silence, a simple declaration that held the power to change everything.

The coin continued its mesmerizing arc, glinting in the light as it danced through the air. It was a moment suspended in time, a collective breath held by all those in the room as if the universe itself were waiting to see which way fate would tip.

And then, with a resounding clink, the coin landed. It was a sound that shattered the silence, a definitive end to the agonizing suspense that had gripped the room.

The supervisor's hand moved to cover the coin, concealing its outcome for just a moment longer. Her gaze shifted to Hyein, and the air was thick with the collective hopes and fears that hung in the balance.

Finally, the supervisor's hand lifted, revealing the coin's verdict.

"Heads," she announced, her voice carrying the weight of destiny.

A moment of stillness followed as if the world needed a moment to catch up with the decision that had been made. And then, a mixture of emotions surged through the room—relief, disappointment, and a simmering tension that hung like a veil.

Hanni and Minji exchanged glances, their eyes shining with a mixture of joy and triumph. Their arms wrapped around each other, a silent celebration of their victory. 

----------------------------------------

Haerin's POV

The moment the outcome of the coin flip was revealed, a sharp pang of disappointment pierced through me. It was as if the weight of the world had settled heavily upon my shoulders, and my heart sank with a mixture of resentment and frustration. The coin flip—a seemingly arbitrary act—had determined a course that would shape the next month of our lives. A month that now felt unfairly burdened with the knowledge that we were not the chosen ones. I tried looking on the bright side, at least we'll have Hyein next month. 

Beside me, Danielle's reaction was more visceral, her face scrunching up as if she had bitten into something bitter. Her eyes brimmed with unshed tears, and I could see the depth of her emotions reflected in her expression. She wore her heart on her sleeve, her emotions written across her face in stark contrast to my own internal turmoil.

As we left the office, a heavy silence hung between us, the weight of our dashed hopes of bringing Hyein home was almost suffocating. But as Danielle's tears began to flow, I knew that her disappointment was a reflection of my own. The reality of the situation was sinking in, and the sense of loss was almost suffocating.