Cuatro

The resonant notes of C reverberate throughout the walls of the Vallejo's Mediterranean Revival home. Three-year-old Mason trails after his Tamy Lea, his tiny fingers dancing across the keys of a majestic Steinway & Sons grand piano, strategically placed beside the sweeping grand staircase. For the last twenty minutes, he's been captivated by the enchanting melody created by his every touch.

"Good job, Macy!" Lea exclaims, her fingers delicately pressing another key, "this one is G," she tells him while gently pushing the said key.

Mason mimics her, pressing the same key with a sense of accomplishment, relishing in the notes he produces.

"Tamy?" Lea hums in reply, curious about his request. "Pway a song for Macy pwease?"

Lea giggles, well aware that she can't resist his requests. "Sure! What song do you want?"

Mason hums as if pondering deeply. Lea finds it endearing because she already knows what song he's after, given his recent penchant for tapping along to its beat. It's been driving them crazy in the most adorable way.

"Wife is a highway!" he exclaims, his enthusiasm ringing out.

Lea giggles, attributing the entire thing to Ian. Her best friend introduced the movie Cars to the little one, sparking an obsession with Lightning McQueen. This fascination led to an array of Hot Wheel toys and, thanks to the grandfathers, a toddler-sized Hummer and Mercedes Benz that Mason gleefully rides whenever he visits either of the houses.

Lea begins her online quest for the sheet music, determined to fulfill the little one's request. As soon as she starts playing the familiar tune, Mason's head bops in sync with the rhythm, as if he's hearing the song for the first time. Lea's voice joins the melody, and Mason's face lights up with delight as he chimes in, singing along with his Tamy in perfect harmony.

As the song comes to a gentle close, a resounding clap echoes through the room, signifying Mariana's arrival from the kitchen, accompanied by a helper carrying a tray of delectable snacks for the gathering.

"Wow, Mason! Your singing is as wonderful as your Tamy's!" The grandmother tells her only grandchild with affection. "I believe he inherited it from you," she tells Lea while playfully ruffling Mason's hair.

Lea chuckles, shaking her head in playful disagreement. "Oh, come on, Mama Yans. He definitely got his talent from you! You've always been the most incredible singer I know. Clearly, it runs in the family."

The older woman blushes in modesty. "But I'm so proud of how well you still play, hija. I haven't heard you play the piano in years!"

Lea shrugs. "Well, I learned from the best," she supplies nonchalantly.

"I'm delighted that I could pass on the talent." Mariana beams. "Ian was the most stubborn piano student I ever had to teach. I really hope Mason becomes a great pianist!"

"Mason wiww pway piano, Nana! Wike this!" Mason tinkers with the keys, as if showcasing his newfound skill, which prompts delighted giggles from the two ladies.

"Don't worry, Mama. I'll do my best to teach this little guy. He seems genuinely interested in music."

Mariana's smile widens. "Oh, by the way, I've really missed hearing you sing. Could you sing at our 50th wedding anniversary?"

"Mama..." Lea hesitates, as she hasn't performed in front of a large crowd in years.

"Please, hija?" Mariana holds her hand, her eyes earnest.

"Tamy sing for Nana?" Mason gazes at his grandmother, and Mariana nods. He turns to Lea, pressing his palms together, "Pwease, Tamy?"

Lea chuckles, recognizing Ian's influence in this pleading gesture, a behavior he clearly passed on to his son. "Alright, Mama. I'll do it for you and Tito Ed." Mariana claps in delight, and Mason follows suit.