Doce

A/N: SURPRISE WAITING AT THE END

They say that the new year is an opportunity for someone to start anew. It's their chance to begin fresh and shape a vision of what they want to achieve in the next twelve months. A chance to set new goals. A new life.

For Lea and Ian, they never imagined being in this moment. A moment that would alter their lives forever. A shared kiss under the fireworks, amidst the New Year's Eve crowd, and a plastic ring band around her finger. And yet, here they are, celebrating the new year as an engaged couple. Who would have thought that three decades of friendship would lead to this (well, their mothers did), but certainly not them.

So there they are, walking hand in hand in Central Park as their bundled little boy, Mason, is busy running around, spotting squirrels in the park and collecting sticks and twigs from the ground. Lea's big sister is needed back in Boston, so that leaves the three of them—the little family that they have created for themselves.

The winter sun casts a golden glow over the park, illuminating the snow-covered landscape and creating a picturesque scene. Lea and Ian's breath mingles with the crisp air, forming wisps of vapor that dance around them. Despite the chill, there is warmth in their intertwined fingers, in the shared glances that speak volumes without a word.

"Don't go too far, Macy!" Lea calls out as she notices the little boy running off.

"Yes, Tamy!" Mason replies, his voice carrying a hint of excitement as he explores the wintry wonderland.

Ian notices that his son has settled by the playground, so he pulls Lea's hand when he spots an empty bench in front of the play area.

Lea instantly snuggles with Ian as the winter breeze flows through when they take a seat. Ian takes the opportunity to wrap his arm around her, trying to keep her warm.

"You okay?" he asks, concern lacing his words as he gazes into her eyes.

She nods, her cheeks flushed with the cold but her smile radiant. "As much as I love New York, this weather is just too much!"

He chuckles. "You wanted to go around today. We could've stayed back in the hotel and enjoyed the fireplace."

She rolls her eyes. "We promised Mason we would visit the museum. It would be a shame if he didn't go."

"Who's the one who introduced him to 'Night at the Museum'? Now that's all he talks about. You know Mason, once he gets interested in something, he sticks with it. Manang-mana sa pinagmanahan!"

"Are you implying it's my fault?"

He chuckles. "Kind of..."

Lea nudges him with her elbow, and he grunts. "Aray! Ang brutal mo talaga!"

"You deserve it!"

"Baka nakakalimutan mo na fiance mo na ako ngayon."

Lea raises a brow. "Your point? Fiancé or not, I'm going to kick your butt if you don't stop being so cheeky."

Ian chuckles because he clearly doesn't have a choice, and basically, he's used to her attitude. "Buti na lang mahal kita," he mumbles.

"Did you say something?"

Ian looks at her and shakes his head. "Nothing. What I meant to say was, aren't you going to tell Ate Lorna what happened between us on New Year's Eve?"

Lea lets out a big sigh and leans her head on his shoulder. She had been thinking about telling her sister since that night, but for some reason, she really wanted to keep it a secret. She's not sure if she is just afraid of her sister or if she just wants to savor the moment that her best friend is now her fiancé. "Are you going to get mad if I tell you that I want to keep it to ourselves first?"