Otso

A brand new week has started, and the Harvard offer is temporarily forgotten as Lea focuses on the demands of her job. Despite her hectic schedule, she manages to maintain a work-life balance, which includes going out on dates. That particular Monday, after a long day of meetings, she looks forward to an evening out because her friend Kate has persuaded her to go on a blind date. Lea isn't a fan of blind dates, but Kate assured her that this guy is worth a shot, and she feels she owes Kate a favor she hasn't fulfilled yet (specifically, Ian not sending a message to Kate, which still baffles her). So, albeit reluctantly, she agrees to the blind date.

Surprisingly, the blind date went well. She isn't hoping for anything grand or expecting a lot, but the guy is really nice. They've chosen a relaxed restaurant serving comfort food and good drinks. Their conversation flows effortlessly, discussing common and uncommon interests that pique Lea's curiosity. By the end of the night, they exchange numbers, and she goes home feeling content.

Lea enters the penthouse and finds Ian still in the living room, engrossed in his favorite Masterchef series.

"Hey, you!" Lea calls out as she walks toward him.

Ian turns and smiles. Her presence brings him warmth for some reason. It has been a long day for both of them, and he realizes they haven't even texted or called each other all day. "Is this how a responsible adult comes home? It's past eleven, Leedja!" He teases her, in a playful mood.

Lea rolls her eyes and slumps onto the couch beside him, reaching for his wine glass. "Why do you care?"

Ian chuckles. He always cares. "Seriously, Lei. It's late. Mason was looking for you earlier during dinner. You didn't even text if you were having dinner here."

Lea feels a pang of guilt. She usually tries her best to be home in time for dinner with Mason. She takes a sip of wine. "Sorry, I was so busy today. I'll make it up to Mason tomorrow."

He takes the wine glass from her. "Have you had dinner yet? Baka gutom ka tapos umiinom ka."

She grins as she is reminded of the delicious meal she had with good company. "I did. I went out after work."

Ian raises an eyebrow in surprise. "Out?" he asks, genuinely intrigued. She nods. "Date?" She nods again. "Kumusta? Buti kinaya ka ng date mo at natagalan ka!" He teases, forcing his enthusiasm and trying to ignore the acrid taste his words leave on his tongue.

Lea rolls her eyes again. "It was actually nice."

"Nice?" he asks incredulously. He knows her too well, and he's aware that some guys either don't pass her standards or are scared of her standards. Either way, their loss.

"Yeah, it was really nice. So nice that we might go out again." She tells him about the guy she went out with, named Miguel Tantoco, a lawyer from a prominent family in the country.

"Lawyer, huh?" Ian remarks. She nods once more. "Well, as they say, you'll never win an argument with a lawyer. So good luck!"

She playfully pushes him. "Inggit ka lang because I might have found someone. I told you to go out on dates more often!"

Ian sighs, unsure of how to tell Lea that he doesn't want to anymore. It's her fault, he'd insist. Ever since that night she agreed to his proposition that by 40 they'd marry... how can he tell her that the thought hasn't left his mind? How does he tell her that he gravitates to the idea, going as far as rationalizing that if they'd tolerated each other for the past 30 years or so, the next 30 will be a breeze?

Her phone beeps, and she smiles at the message, making Ian feel a bit uncomfortable. It's unusual is all. Normally, she doesn't smile like that if it's work related because again, he knows her too well. It can only mean the other and the other thing is setting his ass on fire so it is NOT looking good for him. Could it be the date? The way she chuckled might have as well confirmed it (A/N: assumero ka kasi).