Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Outside, the market was booming. Inside, her thoughts were pounding against her brain and her heart was beating faster as she kept her eyes trained on the computer screen. Her lips moved with every word she read, and her eyebrows drew together in concentration. Beside her, someone came and plunked down a cup of coffee on her table, sloshing it slightly.

"Thanks, Rita," she said, her eyes still on the screen, her mind still on the stocks she was analyzing.

"You're welcome, miss Analyst. By the way, you know this is your fourth cup of coffee since morning, don't you?" the woman said, and Vidhi Khurrana ignored her remark.

"Aparna, it's you," she said.

"Yeah, it's me. Busy much?" she asked, and Vidhi nodded.

"Uh-huh. Sensex up by a hundred points. Plus, many others seem promising-cement and sugar companies. The market's going to open higher on Monday, I swear. It's booming out there," she mumbled.

"Sure it is," her colleague said. "But it's lunch break. Take a few minutes off, at least."

Vidhi waved her away, typing notes into her personal note maker. "I'll take a break when I'm tired," she said.

"Which you never are," Aparna commented. "By the way-are you attending the corporate dinner tomorrow? I heard you were invited."

"Well, I have been. And I'd be a fool to miss an opportunity like that. Of course I'm going," she said.

"Good for you, girl. You know, you make us feel proud."

"I know," Vidhi smiled. "And while you're at it, can you send me some more info on the international markets?"

"Sure. I'll do that."

"Thanks."

"Listen; your dad called. He asked you to call back as soon as you got free-said it was urgent."

For a split second, her attention broke from the computer, but she regained it quickly.

"I'll see what he wants," she replied. "Thanks."

"Anytime," Aparna smiled and went away. Relieved to be alone once again, Vidhi riveted all her attention on the screen in front of her. She was in work mode, and no one disturbed her during work mode. Whatever urgency her father had, she was sure it could wait for a while. Just until she finished this little draft... Vidhi began thinking of the corporate dinner and her excellent performance at the associate meeting yesterday. Her prospects seemed good. she was doing good work, she was working for more hours than anyone else, and most of all, she was working with a passion and zest which no one could manage to use in the office these days.

She'd always wanted to make it big, and now she was almost at the top. She was one of the most valuable assets to the stock market and its buyers and sellers. Many clients, many brokers, many people depended on her for their investment options. She'd worked hard, and attained the place she thought she deserved. Nothing was more important than the satisfaction that accompanied her accomplishment. Sometimes she felt depressed and down, but that phase lasted only for a little while, until she saw the enormity of her achievements, and willed herself to work even harder.

After all, there was nothing left in her life except for work now.

She wondered what her father must have wanted. He seldom called her at the office. If he did, it was only because she would be too engrossed in her work to pick up her cell phone. She frowned slightly as she thought of answering him back. Maybe he wanted some more medicines, she mused. He'd finished last week's course. That reminded her that she had to buy medicines for him. She made a mental note, and resumed with her work. There were only a few things she had to know before she actually took a break.