Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

Ananya stared at her phone for a long moment, wondering at the words she said before Vidhi got mad and hung up. For some reason, her friend's over-protectiveness really pissed her off. She had no idea what triggered such a reaction, but it was enough to make her angry. What did Vidhi really think? That she came here with Abhay without thinking things through? How much did she even know Abhay? How could she judge him without knowing things about him, about his past? And how could she jump to conclusions about her own intentions? Vidhi should have known that she never based her decisions on the amount of attraction she felt for guys. Unlike what other people thought of her, she didn't exactly jump into bed with someone she liked. It had to mean more than just two people having a good time, and she knew it.

When she turned with her phone, she almost ran into Abhay, who'd come to stand behind her. Their gazes locked, and Ananya frowned.

"Please tell me you didn't hear that."

His expression was a little grim. "I did."

She sighed. "I didn't mean to snap. She was annoying me."

He looked at her curiously, as if he was trying to make her out. "So you, what, just her bit her into pieces?"

"We've always been like that. Vidhi and I... we share a particularly unique relationship. You know, love-hate. She's the dearest person to me on earth, until she's not. And at times, I absolutely hate her."

"Now I wonder why that is," he mused, and a little smile played on his lips. Ananya blinked, for a moment surprised. The truth was, she envied Vidhi. She envied her for her common sense, her spunk, her guts to do the right thing every time, and her will power. She knew Vidhi wasn't financially well off, and she never lost a chance to rub it in her face, but even though, she couldn't help feeling helplessly jealous of everything else that she had. She figured Vidhi had the same feelings, felt the same envy. They understood each other perfectly, and she knew from experience how good Vidhi could be. But it had always been like that between them-they'd always loved each other, respected each other, and then felt jealous of each other. It was how they knew to be together. And there was no way she accepting that in front of Abhay.

She shrugged. "It just is."

"I see."

She wondered what he saw. He'd put on his jeans in the time she'd left, but he was still shirtless. His eyes were piercing into hers, drops of water were rolling down his biceps. The temperature had suddenly raised a few notches, and she could feel heat pooling in her belly. As the conversation with Vidhi rang in her ears, she frowned a little. Why exactly did her concern annoy her? Was it because Abhay had kissed Vidhi, and Vidhi hadn't seemed to want it? Was she feeling insecure or inadequate because of something this silly? That he hadn't wanted her, but wanted her best friend?

I'm going crazy, she thought. And then she took a step closer to him, her thoughts turning to a blur in her mind.

Abhay's eyes darkened just the faintest amount, and the intensity of his stare increased. As if he could see through her very soul, see through the reason she was approaching him. She didn't care-she knew what she wanted, finally. It was clear as the day-it was finally before her very eyes. The one and only thing she wanted.

Abhay.

How had she missed it? Everything about him appealed to her. His confidence, the utter ease with which he held himself, the aura of danger that surrounded him. His intelligence, his emotional self, his awareness of the world around and inside him. He was becoming like a drug to her, and she was having a hard time resisting him, denying herself the pleasure of claiming him as hers, which was the only thing she wanted to do right now. Because no one had ever looked at her like that. No one had ever understood her the way he did. No one had made her feel weak and flustered the way he did. She craved him with a desperation she'd never experienced before. And even though her common sense warned her from taking the next step ahead, her desire flared even greater, even persistent, until she couldn't think of anything but getting him. Any way that she could get him, it didn't matter.