Chapter 2: Rebirth and Discovery

Thorian's mind blanked as he looked at the proof that was laid bare in front of his eyes. I... What does this mean? How?!

Thorian looked at his own body in shock for a full minute. The white fur, his hairy paw-like hands, his skeletal structure, all of it felt unfamiliar to him. It was as if his soul had been ripped from his original body and shoved into this new one.

As rage bubbled inside his heart, Thorian took a deep breath and calmed his nerves. At least I am alive... Somehow, even after Sun Sacrifice, I was given another chance.

Thorian remembered the face of Aldrich as he screamed in horror, and a warm breeze cooled his raging heart. In the end, even if he changed species, he lived, while they were burned to ashes by the flames of their greed.

The now white kobloid cackled at this strange turn of fate. However, as he looked back at his own body, he couldn't help but click his tongue.

Did it need to be a white kobloid though? Couldn't I have reincarnated in a stronger monster's body?

Thorian opened his system panel and focused on the skill displayed at the bottom.

Minor Moon Boost (Passive)

Description: As a creature attuned to the moon, you gain power in its presence. Strength and Agility are boosted by 25% at night.

It is indeed as useless of a skill as I remembered, Thorian grimaced as he thought, What use is there for such a thing when nights are so short?

Thorian furrowed what used to be his eyebrows as his mind was filled with thoughts. Some of the other monsters that filled the cave looked at him with a mix of interest and curiosity, but he paid them no heed.

There is no use sitting here thinking, I need to see what is happening outside.

Thorian made his way to the entrance of the cave, each step he took had the confidence and bearing of a lord. Some of the kobloids sneered and growled at him for displaying such arrogance, but Thorian didn't feel the need to even acknowledge their presence.

It took a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the new light when he walked outside the cave. In front of him was a clearing with fairly tall grass and green shrubbery. The vibrant and healthy colors told Thorian that it was the middle of Spring.

A smile parted his lips as he remembered the days before the apocalypse had happened. Now that I think of it; it was spring when it happened. Almost ten years ago...

Thorian looked up to the sky and basked in the warmth of the sun when his facial expression froze. Wait, what in the world? Where is the second one?

Thorian stared in shock at the sky which did not make any sense to him. Ever since the apocalypse started with the introduction of the "System", a second sun stood along their old one. After ten years had passed, it became a natural and normal sight.

What's happening? Did I go back to before the apocalypse? No, I cannot be hasty in my thoughts. This could be a completely different world.

Thorian went back inside the cave while frowning. His mind was a storm of different thoughts and doubts. If this was a different world, then there wasn't much he could do. However, if he did indeed go back in time, then a host of opportunities and risks were presented in front of him.

I did hear rumors about the monsters appearing even before the apocalypse truly began. If I did truly go back in time, then it should happen very soon.

No matter whether this was a different world or he had gone back in time, Thorian needed to go out and explore. Staying in this dark cave without any knowledge of the outside world would drive him crazy.