Dresses Shimmer

Chapter 3:

"Hette! Hette! Lend me your shawl!"

"Miss Hilda?" A young maid exclaimed looking bewildered as the head matron came into the women's quarters looking flushed from barging in. Spotting Hette's tawn shawl she takes it with an apologetic look as she runs out, shouting over shoulder," I'll be back! Have Anne help you run a hot bath now!"

"But Miss Hilda–!" Hette calls bewildered.

"Now!"

Cowed, the young maid bustles to find her friend with her skirts catching in the door as she does.

.

.

.

"How could you fall into the well!" The first scary woman, was now the one guiding her towards the halls that would take them to the kitchen, with a hand on her back and the worried look that all mother's have when a child is harmed. Even though Victoria towered over her, and not a child– to Hilda everyone was a baby until otherwise. "You're very lucky, Nopel was the one to find you, else you would've been stuck for longer!"

Or not found at all, Helga thinks shuddering. Not many go to that specific courtyard, despite its lovely garden and being less crowded than the others around the castle. Rather its location is the very reason why so many would steer clear of it. King Grimhilde. In spite of Hilda's efforts to send other servants to clean, Nopel has been the only one to venture into that garden, all under his majesty's green eyes.

"He's my hero alright." the strange woman agrees, looking down over her shoulder. The faint sunlight catching the gold in her eyes.

The stone tiles felt cool on her bare feet, a slight grimace on her face as her leg still hurts from scratching up the stones. She pulls the shawl that Hilda had thrown over her around her closely. She looks over to Nopel who carries her bag for her as he follows close, his clogs click quietly the stone floors. Noticing her looking at him, Nopel stares back with wide doe eyes that remind her of chestnuts. She smiles at him,"A real good man to come save me. If I stayed down there any longer who knows what would have happened!"

Nopel's chest is still for a moment, till a breath comes out soft in a realization only he knew, and he turns to Hilda with this expression that Hilda feels wary of. Her eyes avert slightly from his gaze as he comes closer to the strange woman. Hilda eyes dart between the two as their group pass by a series of halls and the necks of servants whipping the air as they pass.

As if remembering the function to talk, Nopel speaks earnestly, with admiration for the young woman,"She pulled herself out of the well! It was amazing Mrs. Hilda, I have never seen many do that!"

'Victoria R. Delarosa' she was named. A tall dark-haired woman with thick hair that curls and tangles easily and with so much volume, her skin a warm brown tone, and her hooded eyes– they reminded her of golden wildflower honey. A warm sweet color she hasn't seen before.

Needless to say, their first meeting didn't go so well. Nopel had tried to stop Mrs Hilda from chasing after her with a clog in hand. Bravely in the face of a clog, Nopel threw himself in front of the woman, shouting about birds, wells and a bandit of thieves as he shields the towering woman behind him. Words were spoken with hurried apologies and choice words about modesty. Surprisingly this woman doesn't blame Hilda for her reaction, which is kind of sad seeing 'Lady of the Night' has been one of the nicer things people called her. And she had to admit to Hilda:

Mrs. Hilda has good aim.

"Regardless, you must be freezing in your ...ahm," her voice trailed off," ...dress?".