Chapter 12

There's a knock at the door, and Crip opens it with dread. Much to his dismay, it's Charlie...

Crip: "Oh. It's you." He says with this spiteful tone.

Of course it's Charlie, what was he saying? Charlie was the only one who could annoy the shit out of him before he dies today!

Charlie: "Look you little shit, I don't wanna be up this early either...The Boss told me to come get you and bring you to the hideout."

Why? Did O'Riley think he was gonna try to run?

Crip: "Um...Ok? But I'm making coffee first.."
He leaves the door open, and Charlie strolls on inside as Crip fumbles to make one cup of coffee.

Charlie: "Didn't sleep?"

Crip shakes his head, eyes never leaving the coffee pot he was setting up.

Charlie: "Kinda figured...I don't understand why O'Riley is doing this...I mean, stop a war yeah, but give you over to him, and he kills you, it'll be a war anyway!"

Crip wanted to scream. Everyone was talking about his life like it was just nothing! Just something that was considered unavoidable! Why did he have to do this?! Why wasn't O'Riley fighting to protect him?!

Crip: "I guess if I die you'll all just have to find someone else to fuck all the time."

Charlie makes a face.

Charlie: "Hey, NONE of us like what's happening. Nobody wants to see you fuckin' die, alright."

Crip finally turns to see Charlie's stern face, and all he can think is "God he's so dumb."

He ends up drinking the coffee fast, not even in the mood to savor what could he his last cup of coffee. Now they're walking up to the hideout; Bear and Switch looking concerned as they head inside.

Charlie leads Crip to O'Rileys office, and leaves with one final frown. Crip goes into the office, and O'Riley stands immediately.

O'Riley: "There you are."

Crip was feeling overwhelmed. He had so many questions.

Crip: "O-O'Riley, why are we doing this? He's already tried to kill me twice now, so why are you making me go back to him? You know he wants me dea-"

O'Riley: "That's enough." He says stern, making Crip close his mouth quickly. It seemed begging wasn't going to change anything.

O'Riley: "I know you're nervous. However, Red knows we will have war if he kills one of mine. He doesn't want that. If he would rather use you to his advantage, instead of just killing you, that is a better outcome. Or do you want to die?"

Crip sulks, biting his lip a bit to try and stop from having a full on breakdown. O'Riley closes his eyes with a heavy sigh, before setting a hand on Crips shoulder.

O'Riley: "You'll be fine."

After that, they leave. Just the two of them. Red is supposed to be the only one meeting O'Riley to get Crip, but it's obvious as they approach the meeting sight that Red had other ideas.

There's another person standing there; someone beside Red, and as they get closer, Crip can see this strangers bald head. Not just the head...there wasn't any facial hair or eyebrows either. He's tall and muscular, and dressed in all black like he's about to attend Crips funeral.

He looks scary as hell.

Red: "O'Riley." He says calmly, eyes relaxed.

O'Riley: "Red..Thought this was a one on one meeting.."
He doesn't sound too happy with this stranger here.

Red: "This is Victor. My top man. I'm assigning him to watch over Eve and protect him from my men. This should benefit us both, no?"

O'Riley has to admit, that's better than Crip getting killed by their old gang.

O'Riley: "Very well." He says defeated, and turns to leave.
Crip wants to chase after him but he can't. He has to stay with Red now...or so he thought.

As Red turns he says "You know what to do" to the strange man, and then walks away.

Suddenly Crip feels very small and very vulnerable as the taller man's cold blue eyes find him.
This man looked like a goddamn predator that's just spotted his prey.

Victor: "Hello there, little birdy."

Little birdy....Oh god, he WAS prey! Crip swallows the lump in his throat, trying to calm himself down enough to speak, but he just can't seem to get his mouth open.

Victor: "My names Victor, and as Red said, I've been given the task to protect you."

Protect? Crips inner monologue says with a frightened voice.

Victor waits a moment, but Crip doesn't say anything. He's slightly trembling, eyes looking anywhere that isn't Victor.

Ah...he's afraid. Victor thinks to himself. Maybe the height difference? He wasn't trying to be scary. He thinks for a moment, then crouches down so he's below Crip, and Crip quickly looks at him in a panic.

Victor: "I'm not gonna hurt you." He says in almost a whisper, and it makes Crip feel instantly calmer. He has a really nice voice...

Victor: "I heard you like coffee. We could swing by a cafe on the way to the hideout. Would you like that?"

Oh damn. He's good.

Crip nods slightly, and that's enough to make Victor smile.