Ch 2. The Callback

Dana yawned from exhaustion. They had spent over six months looking for the perfect cast. She was tired, frustrated, and completely fed up with it. She had given up on finding the perfect main character.

"Thank you for coming," Julia said, ushering out the auditioner. Alex collected the headshots and resumes. Dana slumped in her seat. "I think I give up," she sighed.

Alex put down the papers, grabbed his girlfriend's hand, and moved his chair to face her. "Come on, Dana, it isn't that bad."

Dana eyed him and said, "Are you kidding? This is a train wreck. We have spent six months looking for our main character, and we haven't gotten any closer at this point." she stressed.

"What about that one famous actor who tried out?" Ricky said he was cleaning up the water bottles. Dana looked at him. "She is our best choice so far," Julia chimed in.

"Don't you guys get it? If we don't have the right actor, this show won't succeed; it's going to be like all of the other crappy Disney shows." Alex emphasized, "Yes, but we don't have enough time; Disney is pushing for us to start production." Julia added.

"Time is money, and we're running out of it," Ricky stated. The group started fighting over who should play the main character and the need to start production Dana shot up out of her chair and slammed her hands on the table, knocking over the auditioners' papers.

They quickly shut up and Dana snapped her head over to her boss "Julia, take the list of actors we've chosen and start doing some callbacks." Dana commanded.

Dana handed her the list of possible candidates for the MC. She took a deep breath and pushed back her hair. Alex stared at Dana "This isn't the right choice Da-" Dana cut him off: "Alex, we simply don't have enough time; we need to face it; there is no perfect candidate!" she yelled.

Ricky followed Julia. "I'm not staying around for this couple's feud," he said. "Dana, trust me, I've been in this spot before. Don't forget, I created my own show too."

"Oh, I am very aware of that. How could I ever forget the infamous Gravity Falls?" she exasperated. Alex squinted his eyes. "Wait, are you jealous of my success?" he asked, looking into his girlfriend's eyes, who was avoiding eye contact.

"The Owl House is your chance to shine, Dana. You are onto something. I can feel it. This show has the potential, but if you rush the casting process, all of that will be wasted."

"I'm sorry we don't have enough time; it is a risk we have to take."

"Dana, please just a few more days, and I'm sure we can fi-" Alex's eye caught a headshot; he instantly recognized the person. For some odd reason, he couldn't forget the girl, even though she wasn't the right fit for the little witch girl.

He walked around the table and bent down to pick up the headshot among the papers thrown around the room. "This girl... what was her name?" Alex looked at Dana.

She raised an eyebrow "What?" she said. "This girl tried out for Little Witch Girl." Alex looked at her, pointing to the photo. "I don't know; that was a few days ago. Why does it matter? We already chose who's going to play that character." She replied, sitting back down.

"No, that isn't it, babe, come help me. I'm sure if I see her resume, I'll remember her name." He went to his knees and started combing through the papers.

"Alex, we have met hundreds of people; I don't think you're going to remember," she protested. He looked at her with his puppy dog eyes and said, "Hey, no, put... put those..." She lost the words in her head, instantly falling for his trap.

"Fine," she huffed. They looked through hundreds of papers, searching for her name. They spent over an hour searching. Dana looked at her watch. "It's 11:30; I don't think it's here," she sighed. She laid down and spread her limbs across the papers.