Chapter 2: Devotion

devotion
n. the state of being ardently dedicated and loyal to something or something, often religiously
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mido! Look at this!"

Under a blue sky, a boy meandered over to a girl on hand and knee in the tall grass.

"It's Hyrule Herb! I've been reading all about its medicinal properties!" She fingered the feathery leaves of the plant.

"Looks like grass to me."

"Sure, its appearance is somewhat unassuming, but did you know it's actually an anodyne? In fact, if you macerate the entire crown in vinegar, the tincture you're left with can—"

"Woah, woah, slow down!" Mido laughed, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You know I don't understand any of that plant mumbo jumbo."

"Oh, well a tincture is simply the extract you're left with after you've soaked—"

"What I mean is, I just don't find your grass that interesting. Sorry." He gave her shoulder a squeeze. When Zelda's face fell, he quickly amended. "But it's super cool that you think so! I'm happy for you, really. Just... don't bore me with the details, yeah? It's a bit much."

Zelda knew she had a tendency to overshare when she was excited. A forlorn smile brushed her lips, and she chastised the version of herself who had been so eager to share her findings a minute ago.

Somewhere, Father frowned.

Quit wasting your time playing at being a scholar.

Mido tilted her chin up. "Hey, I didn't mean it like that. You can tell me about your grass if you really want to."

"No, you're right, it's silly. I do appreciate your willingness to listen, though."

"Yeah, well, you can't help being smarter than the rest of us." He elbowed her playfully with a wink, and she blushed. "I'm more of a 'swing swords' guy anyway, y'know? Which, speaking of swinging swords..." He took Zelda's hands in his and pulled her to her feet. "How would you like to have the seat of honor at the Knights' Tournament next month?"

Laughter burst forth. "Mido, the Knights' Tournament is put on for the royal family. You know I'm going to be there."

"Consider this your formal invitation, Your Highness, to come as my biggest fan! I can't possibly lose if I know you're up there cheering for me." He flashed her one of his heart-stopping grins.

"Of course I'll be cheering for you," she giggled. "My brave knight."

Rising on her toes, she pecked him on the cheek.

The hero smiled ferociously and inclined back toward her lips, but Zelda raised a hand before he could land a kiss.

"What?" His eyebrows furrowed.

"Sorry... as the princess... I'm not really supposed to... just..."

Hands raised in placation. "Okay, it's okay, I get it." He scratched the back of his neck.

Pink Herons carried on the breeze, rustling the Hyrule Herb as they passed.

"I'm sorry," she said again.

"It's fine. It's just that... you're your own person too, remember? Is it because you don't want to kiss me?"

"No, Mido, that's not it!" Her cheeks turned as pink as the Hearty Radishes in her field guide. She had never kissed anyone on the mouth before. A 19-year-old girl who still hadn't had her first kiss. But when would she have had the time?