Chapter 7: Incongruous

incongruous
adj. lacking harmony; incompatible
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The princess and her attending knight walked in silence for hours. By some silent agreement, Link stayed several paces behind her, keeping watch.

Everything about him bothered Zelda.

His baby face. His unruly hair.

His voice was too soft-spoken. His eyes were too pensive.

His walk was arrogant. His silence derisive.

What sort of things was he judging her for in the absence of dialogue?

Her stomach had started feeling empty about an hour ago, but she refused to acknowledge it. She much preferred this apprehensive speculation over conversation with Link. However, after another ten minutes, Link breached the silence himself. "Princess, it would be smart to eat something soon."

She stopped and pretended to consider this. "If you insist."

"I'm sure we can find something further inside the forest. Actually, I think I see some apple trees up ahead—"

"No!" she cried before he could take a step. He shot her a confused look, and she faltered on the idea of having to explain. "I'm worried— The trees might be... bellicose."

He blinked. "They're apple."

She rolled her eyes. "Bellicose isn't a fruit, you prat."

His head shook like she was the crazy one. "What are you saying?"

"Earlier..." She fumbled over the words. It might confirm she really was the crazy one. "One of the trees... attacked me. And before you say anything, I'm not being melodramatic, the thing uprooted itself and started pursuing me—"

"You mean an Evermean?"

She paused. He'd said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Yes." She gave an authoritative nod. "An Evermean. And I'll have you know that—"

Suddenly Link sank into a crouch.

"What are you—"

"Shh!" he hissed, waving her off.

Her jaw dropped. The audacity!

"Excuse me? That is not how you speak to your prin—" The words devolved into a yelp as Link grabbed her wrist and yanked her down.

A series of the most uncivil insults she could think of were about to let loose when he pointed ahead. Green eyes followed to where a wild boar was sniffing through the grasses several yards away. It was plump on summer nuts and rodents, and blissfully unaware of their presence.

He shushed her for a pig? Oh, she was really about to lay into him when her eyes caught on something else. Two ribbed horns peeking up from the far bushes. Two sets of large red ears.

Bokoblins. That's what Link had been pointing at.

Despite the security of a skilled knight beside her, Zelda's vision lurched with flashes of the Blood Moon. Cleric Ciela's exposed legs. Those beady little bokoblin eyes trapped beneath wood, still piercing her resolve, even now.

The nightmares had finally outgrown the underside of her bed.

"Well?" she whispered. "Aren't you going to do something?" The sooner those monsters were dealt with, the sooner she could pretend to be under control again. She clutched the grass to keep her hands from visibly shaking.