one

park minseo

The time has come. I am moving away.

It sounds like something I should be happy about but I am quite nervous.

Why?

Well, first of all, I look like a wet dog half of the time.

You see, I don't have much money. The key word is that I don't have much money. My parents might be a wreck but they were rich.

My house looked like a dream house. It was huge and standing on the giant property. However, the inside looked like a garbage disposal.

My father went to work looking like a world-class millionaire just to look like a homeless person at home. My mother visited luxurious parties with her friends just to wear stained shirts and ripped pants at our house.

You might think hiring a maid would be a great solution. The thing is, every maid my parents hired quit in less than a week. That's how bad my parents were.

They should be actors, honestly. Did I mention my father's work and my mom's friends don't even know I exist? Yeah, I am either dead to them or they are embarrassed by their creation.

It's a surprise they are paying for my college. Or they want to use my room as another room where their trash can pile.

I was dragging my last suitcase down the stairs when a plate flew right across my face, missing me by an inch, and breaking into a million pieces as it hit the wall.

'Where do you think you are going!?' my mother shouted like a mad person.

Woah, it was only 10 am, and she was already drunk as hell. If it ain't a new record to write down?

'I am going to college, remember?' I spoke calmly as any different tone or expression would trigger the drunk monster arising inside of her.

'And who is going to pay for that? You are useless anyway, you son of a bitch!'

She threw another plate straight at the entrance door right behind me. A sharp porcelain piece cut my cheek, allowing a few droplets of blood to roll down all the way to my chin. Well, there needs to be some kind of liquid rolling down my face if it ain't tears, right?

'My father, he informed you already,' I slowly dried my face with my sleeve.

'Whatever! I hope you never come back!' she turned around and stomped away.

I sighed and exited my huge home full of huge assholes. I was glad my dad wasn't at home. He was worse to face.

The cab was here and the guy helped with my suitcases. I wondered how did I fill them up when I didn't own much stuff anyway.

The ride was silent and quick. It was like an hour. But in my mind, it was a few minutes.

I arrived at the train station where I would be traveling all the way to Seoul. Was I excited? No. However, everything was better than my home town.

I hopped on a train, listened to music, and pretended I was in K-Drama while looking out of a window, I hopped off the train and here I was.

Another cab ride, how wonderful. At this point, I wished I was at my dorm already. I couldn't wait to live in peace.

The cab stopped in front of the giant campus. My jaw dropped. It looked like one of those fancy schools in England. The buildings were huge and the campus even bigger. It will be a challenge to not get lost.

I dragged my stuff around, trying to figure out which way should I go. Suddenly, one of my suitcases fell which made me trip over. I thought I would flop like a fish on the surface but someone caught me.