Chapter 9

About an hour before the walls were meant to open, each willing runner was allocated an equally willing partner. Minho took Gally despite his bad ankle, and Thomas took Chuck, so Frypan had been left in charge of camp for the day until at least one of them cam back. As much as Thomas had tried to protest, Chuck was adamant on coming along.

As soon as the walls began to open, the four pairs squeezed through and ran in their own directions. The rest left behind oversaw the 'sick', making sure nobody died. The amount of memories that were going to be recovered would be absolutely enormous, it was quite painful to think about, but maybe collectively they could find a way out the maze and get back home. Wherever home was.

With Chuck so small and slow, he and Thomas reached their destination a little later than they'd hoped. Chuck sat down for a break, leaning back against one of the walls. He panted to catch his breath, but then he suddenly stopped. "Thomas..." He whispered, looking at him with panicked eyes. "Do you hear that?"

Thomas held his breath too, now hearing a form of grunting in the distance. Since Thomas had spent most of his time unconscious around the monster, he'd never actually heard it roar or groan or anything of the sort. "The grunting?" Thomas whispered bacj.

Chuck nodded. "That's what we heard while we were hiding, when it was searching for those who weren't struck yet."

"You go hide around that corner, I'll kill it." Thomas pulled a knife out his back pocket.

Chuck shook his head and stood up. "No, you're a lot smarter and braver than I am. You're worth a lot more than I am, Thomas. You go. Now. You know how to get out this maze, you can outrun this thing."

A fleshy hand appeared around one of the corners. "Chuck! Run!" Thomas accidentally actually shouted, pushing Chuck towards the nearest exit.

The Mourner roared, thundering in and charging right towards them. "Run!"

Thomas grabbed Chuck's hand and ran, leaving their bags behind. Chuck stumbled behind him, unable to keep up with his pace and their hands lost their grip, causing Chuck to stumble but Thomas to keep going. "Thomas, just run! Go!" Thomas spun round, starting to run back but it was too late.

The Mourner grabbed him, holding him in one fist with the poised right above his chest. "Seven!" He yelled.

Thomas frowned, tears brimming. "W-what?"

"Four!"

The code. Thomas hastily pulled out his notebook, feeling around for his pen, but... where was it!? He didn't have time for this- he had to write it down! "Five!" Chuck gasped as the grip tightened, "t-two!" Thomas slashed at his wrist, crying out in his own pain but it was the only thing he could think of.

The Mourner finally thrust its tail through Chuck's chest, the boy throwing his head back and screaming in intense agony. Blood spurted out the front and back, like a couple miniature fountains. "Three..." It was a whisper, a whisper Thomas couldn't hear.

"Chuck!!" He tried running for his body, but the Mourner growled at him, making him step back.

The Mourner dropped him with a splat, and began charging straight for Thomas. "Chuck.." He wanted to stay, he wanted to help, he wanted to kill this monster with his bare hands but it was going to kill him for sure this time.

Thomas turned and sprinted away as fast as his legs could carry him. His vision was blurred with tears, he couldn't see probably; using his hands to help him turn corners quicker, trying to remember the way back but also trying to just get away. Get safe.