Chapter 12

"What do you mean, my life?" Newt shuffled away slightly, worried.

"You knew what you were getting into coming up here, but you didn't have a choice in the matter. I was on WICKED's side, so I was trying to convince you that your 'sacrifice' was for the greater good. I used to know what was wrong with the world, and I guess it's so bad that I thought this was a better option for you.

"You got really upset, understandably, and... I don't know what happened after that, but you were taken from me and... I don't- I don't know, I used to know but I can't remember now."

"You.. You cared more about this maze? Than me!?" Newt looked hurt, but he didn't do anything.

"Guess I did.. But Newt, I'm so sorry, I barely remember it now. Maybe they did something to my brain like with this memory loss, I don't know! You have to believe me, please. Just because I remember doesn't mean that the me now is any different, right?"

Newt rolled over. "And what if you got all your memories back? Would you remember why WICKED is so amazing? So perfect?"

"Newt-"

"Goodnight, Thomas."

Newt curled up, but flinched when Thomas touched him, so put his hand on a patch of grass behind him. "G'night..."

~*~

When Thomas woke up the next morning, Newt was already gone. The walls were still closed, and both Minho and Gally were still sleeping. Thomas got up, trying to find where he had wandered off to. "Newt?" He called in a hushed whisper.

Newt was sat by the edge of the forest, using a small a pocket knife to carve at a piece of wood that he'd pulled off the tree. He briefly glanced up when Thomas came his way before returning to what he was doing. If anything, he was just feeling away the layers, turning it into a miniature spear.

Thomas sat in front of him. "Let's talk."

Newt paused, glancing at him again. "What's there to talk about?"

"Last night, let's just talk about it." He offered out his hand, standing up.

Newt hesitated but he caved in, taking Thomas' hand and pulling himself up. "You want to talk? Let's talk."

Thomas began leading him into the forest, still holding his hand. "I want to know why you're being distant now, just because I told you something that is now just a distant memory. I mean, it was two years ago!"

"I could have still been out there with you. For much longer, maybe my leg wouldn't have gotten damaged. Maybe I wouldn't have seen so many of my friends die, see them forced out into the maze just because they did something wrong, or they went crazy."

"Well even I'm in here now, so you would have come in before me anyway. Maybe you would be in Chuck's position instead, and for all we know I might have decided to come in here. God knows why."

Newt didn't say anything, looking away and pulling back his hand, folding his arms. "It just hurts that you might have had the choice to keep me, or my friends. You don't know and I don't know, and I just want answers! I feel like we were better off before you got stung, or both of us, because now we just have even more questions left unanswered and I hate it!

"How would you feel if I sent you up here? Because I thought sacrificing my boyfriend was a better idea than letting him live in this weird school? You let us come in here! How could you do that to us!? I know you said you were watching, but how could you!? Somewhere in that fat head of yours is knowing you've let so many people die! Not including the ones from last week! Alby's gone, Ben, Jim, Alex, Jason! They're all your fault!"