Chapter 32

Newt was evidently depressed. Thomas wanted him to get someone to talk to, but both knew that mentioning WICKED was too risky, they couldn't really do anything until they were sure they were safe. Then again, Thomas' employer knew and he hadn't done anything about it.

He found his boss working at his desk, so Thomas knocked before heading in. "You alright, Thomas?" He asked with a smile, turning in his chair.

"Yeah I'm fine Sam, but there was something I wanted to ask you."

His boss gestured at the chairs in front of his desk and Thomas sat down in one of them. "Ask away, lad."

"I've seen around the city that WICKED is looking for some lost workers. Am I one of them? I told you I worked for them, but since they could be looking for me I'm just wondering why you haven't turned me in."

"You're not a criminal, my boy! I'm sure you and the others had your reasons. Plus, if I did, I wouldn't have you working for me!" He laughed. "I've seen them too but don't worry, I won't be handing you in anytime soon!"

Thomas sighed in relief. "I wish it were the same for my friends."

"Listen.." His boss pressed a button and the door closed behind them, and then he leant forward, clasping his hands on the desk. "You worked there, and I won't be prying, but rumours say WICKED is awful fishy and not worth messing with. I'm sure me keeping you here contradicts what I believe, but oh well, you're a great employee."

"Thank you sir."

"Welcome. But in all seriousness, WICKED doesn't sound like anything good. Am I right?" Thomas nodded before he'd finished asking. "There we go, clearly it wouldn't be kind to send you back, for whatever job you would be doing, or any of your friends. May I ask one question though?"

"That depends."

"Are the rumours true? Are WICKED as bad as they seem?"

"Yes, and worse."

~*~

"Well someone's happy." Newt commented, getting kissed and hugged when Thomas got back from work and found Newt mid changing out of his uniform. "Good day at work?"

"I talked to my boss about WICKED today to ask about why he doesn't hand me in, but he said I won't be handed back anytime soon. Gave me some insight to all the rumours going around and what they actually want. I still think WICKED knows we're here, but obviously the risk is still to high."

Newt sighed. "At least they're not actively hunting for us. If they were, they'd probably release our faces on the internet or something."

"I guess so. You're still not seeing anyone about this, are you?" Newt shook his head. "You really should, Newt, I'm worried because you're always upset recently and even if you get sad easily you never show it. I know it's risky but I think it's worth a shot to make yourself feel better. Aren't your school friends worried?"

Newt shrugged and tried to pull himself out of Thomas' arm to try and avoid conversation. "They don't know."

"Newt-"

"I don't need to see anyone! Now let go of me because I'm freezing without a top on."

~*~

Thomas decided to finally visit Minho and the others to find out who exactly got Newt into school so they could give 'parental advice' on getting him counselling. He didn't elaborate on why for Newt's sake, but even suggesting it confused his friends because they'd been under the impression Newt was tough as nails, but they didn't pry for details.