Chapter 20

"I knew I'd find you here." Merissa smiled, stepping closer towards Thomas but he copied her actions backward. "What's wrong?"

"How...?" Thomas was gobsmacked, wanting to run and hug her but at the same time he felt like this was the first time meeting her, his memories of her were vague, once he started properly helping WICKED he stopped going home as much as everyone else.

"I know it's been a while, but when I started developing the darkness like your father did... I knew I had to see you one last time." Thomas felt like such a wuss, crying, but it was in front of his mother and somehow that made him feel okay.

"Mum, I.. I thought you were.. You're not immune? Like me? Why not? Why am I immune are you're not!?"

"You were part of a test group, they injected children 6 years and under so you just got allowed, and it worked. It became compulsory but it wasn't perfect, kids were dying from it and others weren't getting the injection, but the other minority became immune like you. It was to stop children getting the darkness as they got older, or at that age. You had a younger brother, but.. he didn't wake up from the injection."

"Killing children!? That's sick!"

"It was WICKED's choice. When you were four years old you were showing signs of what they wanted in children, this was before the earth got hit, and I signed you up for their small trials, but when it finally came around to them doing anything the darkness was spreading and they suddenly changed their minds and we couldn't back out the contract. We moved to the complex across the country and when you were twelve you were taken from me for the trials."

Thomas wanted to be mad, it was WICKED's fault, and it made him wonder how everyone else came to be at the complex, was Newt's sister signed up? That didn't explain why his parents were killed, though. "So why are you here now?"

"Like I said, I wanted to see you one last time. I thought the trials might be over now, and if you were still here, I wanted to say goodbye." Now Thomas pitied her, approaching her and letting her pull him into a hug. "Oh Thomas.. I missed you so much, I love you so much."

"I-I don't know.. They took my memories when the trials started, I only got them back a little while ago; but.. I feel like I missed you too." His arms came around her waist and he had a flashback, to when he was little and stood on his tiptoes to hug his mother's waist. "Hey- we're only a week away from getting the cure! You should stay! We can heal you!"

She suddenly squeezed him tightly to the point of pain and Thomas squealed. "Don't you get me anywhere near that WICKED scum." She hissed in his ear, then rapidly pulled away and stood back. "I'm not going to make it a week, Thomas." She smiled now, a sad smile.

"We can still try! Please! Even if you're just here until the end, we still have to try. For me?"

She looked uncertain, like she didn't want to go any further into the building, the only thing keeping her indoors being Thomas. "For you."

Thomas' eyes lit up and he took one of her hands in both of his. "I can take you to one of the rooms, they're not the best but you can meet Newt!.. Again? He's got it too, but he's not as far, he can keep you company!" He was rambling now, half dragging her deep into WICKED's complex.

Quite a few people asked questions, but after Thomas explained, he was confused not to be met with any opposition. They entered Newt's room and he turned to look who it was, surprised to see Thomas holding some middle aged woman's blistered hand. "Who's that, Tommy?" He asked, indicating her with a flick of his head.

"It's my mum." Newt's eyes widened, though it was hard to tell now that his iris were gone from his eyes. "She's gonna keep you company until the cure gets here." She gave Newt a sad smile, and he instantly knew what Thomas didn't. "Is that okay with you?"