Part 1/3 - Gifting

An email landing in Natasha's inbox late the previous night informed her that her updated Widow Bites were ready for collection, but an email arriving this morning scuppered her plans.

Good Morning Ms Romanov,

Ms Potts has requested you meet her for lunch, I have pencilled you in for 12:30. Please reply should you have scheduling conflicts and be unable to attend.

Many thanks,

Amelia Clark

Senior PA, STARK INDUSTRIES, CEO OFFICE.

Natasha, of course, did have plans for the day, but at the same time, she didn't want to cancel on Pepper. She was a good friend to Natasha, and the Avenger didn't want their relationship to go back to the time after she'd been found to have infiltrated SI on SHEILD'S behalf.

Making her way to the lifts, Natasha entered and called to the building AI.

"Yes, Ms Romanov?"

"Who's in the common room right now?" Natasha asked, pressing the corresponding button.

"Just Miss Maximoff right now," FRIDAY replied as the lift doors closed.

"Perfect, thanks Friday."

"Wanda's always been eager to please and to prove herself, she'll definitely say yes to this."

As the lift arrived, Natasha stepped out and moved down the hallway to the common area.

"Oh Wanda, perfect, would you mind picking up my new Widow Bites? They're just at the SHIELD HQ, I'd prefer to go by myself but I'm swamped with paperwork and I want them for training tomorrow. Can I trust you?"

"Of course, Natasha. I was meaning to go for a walk anyway today."

"Great, thanks, Wanda. I'll let them know, to expect you." Natasha said, walking across the room to the bar, as Wanda left.

Fixing herself a black coffee, Natasha leaned back up against the bar, mulling over her lunch invite. She was having second thoughts, largely why Pepper had invited her through her PA rather than talking or texting Natasha herself. As Natasha mulled it over and drained the mug, she concluded that Pepper had just been too busy to meet in person. Sliding off the stool, Natasha started walking back to her room. On the way however she heard hurried footsteps behind and turned to see a flushed young man rushing towards her.

"Oh Ms Romanov, Ms Potts asked me to give you this." He said, outstretching a simple, matchbox-sized wooden box.

"Um, thanks, what is it?"

"I can't say, Ms Potts will see you for lunch." The assistant said, shifting uncomfortably, before hurrying back the way he came.

"Odd," Natasha said, before walking the rest of the way to her room.

Sitting down at her desk, Natasha opened the box to reveal a black leather choker patterned with intricate designs that Natasha swore were familiar. Also enclosed was a note on white card: Bring this with you for lunch, I'll explain more then. Pepper X

Definitely odd, they were friends but have never given gifts to one another - if this even was a gift. Natasha replaced the card and bracelet in the box and set it down on the nightstand, before getting ready.

***XXX***

Natasha left her room just before half twelve, dressed casually in a light grey crop top, a pair of high-waisted black jeans and white converse. Holding Pepper's mysterious little gift in her hand, Natasha walked towards the floor's elevators. The motive behind the gift still eluded her, though her working theory was that Pepper was the latest at the Tower to take a guess at her birthday. A weak hypothesis in hindsight, considering the gift was unwrapped and delivered through an unknown secretary. The mystery of the whole ordeal continued to bother Natasha throughout her journey up to the upper floors.

When she stepped out of the elevator, Natasha was surprised to see someone waiting for her. The same young man who had given her the choker earlier that day. He was sitting behind a small reception-like desk and dressed the same as before, though Natasha noticed he was wearing a black leather band around his wrist.

"Almost like the one he gave me." She thought.

"Ah Ms Romanov, I'll let Me Potts know you're here - just a moment." He said, speaking much more calmly to her than he had before. "Ms Potts, Ms Romanov is here for her appointment. Oh of course I'll let her know. Thank you Misstr-uh-Ms Potts."

Tapping his earpiece, the assistant looked back to Natasha, "Ms Potts' meeting with her Senior PA is just wrapping up, please wait over there." He said, pointing to some plush leather chairs in the corner of the room.

This frustrated the Black Widow, "Can I not just go in, me and Pepper are good friends. I don't see why I have to wait outside like one of her shareholders?"

"Ms Potts gives her apologies, Ms Romanov, but she says you are welcome to try on her gift while you wait."

Disgruntled, Natasha sat down and opened the box. The choker was only an inch or two in thickness and clearly made from some good quality leather. Again the patterns that decorated both the outside and in gave the spy pause for where she remembered them. They were akin to inscriptions, maybe an accident language, or maybe nothing at all. Lifting it from the box, Natasha was hit with a low humming noise. Assuming it was nothing, she unfastened the clasp at the back and passed it around her neck. She fiddled with the clip for a bit before finally clipping it in place. The humming was louder now and Natasha reached behind only to find the clasp missing.