11

"Pick a movie or i'm going to bed." Taylor growls, pacing around the kitchen, glaring at Karlie, who's sitting in the couch saying "no!" to every single movie Taylor's suggested.

"Might as well. It was a long drive." Karlie says, getting up before walking into the kitchen and patting Taylor on the back.

"Night." Karlie's halfway up the stairs.

"Oi. Come help me with these dishes!" Taylor yells, flailing her arms about.

Karlie looks down the staircase, trying not to burst into laughter at the scene.

"I'll do them tomorrow. Night Tay!" Karlie spins on her heels and continues on her way to her room.

"You better. Sleep well!" Taylor yells after her. When the singer doesn't get a response, she chuckles softly.

idiot.

------
When Karlie's eyelids flutter open, the first thing she hears is the gentle plinking sound of rain.

She sits up, wincing at the pain in her legs.

ugh. growing pains.

She reaches down to gently rub her legs, and lays back down, hands clasped and arms folded, laying on her back.

It's dark out.

Karlie lifts up her wrist to look at the time on her watch, squinting from the light.

3am.

The rain's getting louder.

She smiles. The rain is her favourite song, and it seems the western weather likes it too.

Karlie tries to close her eyes to fall to sleep to the heavenly orchestra of raindrops, but they open again quickly when she hears sounds from downstairs.

It starts with gentle humming.

Then a piano kicks in, two chords are played in the lower octave.

dun, dun. dun, dun.

there's more humming, but it sounds a bit like muffled singing now.

something, something so peculiar...
pain something, something
evermore.

Karlie closes her eyes, and lets the rain and the music slowly combine into one big hum, as it quietly lulls her to sleep again, any thoughts of pain or worry are quickly replaced with a louder melody, a different one from before, but somehow the same.

This time, a clear melodious voice rings throughout the house:

Cannot think of all the cost
all the things that will be lost...

oh can we we just get a pause?
to be certain we'll be tall again...

The voice continues to sing smoothly for a while.

i wonder who's singing?

Karlie thinks.

I don't know, but she's good.

sorry guys for not posting, don't hate me :/
i'm fully aware that evermore wasn't written that soon, but for the sake of this story, let's just say taylor wrote that night and released a couple years later. :)
drink waterrrr