44

Terms used in Chapter 44
When Ruan san niang heard Yao Hong mention Qi Yue An, her pretty face darkened instantaneously, filling her eyes with cold laughter.

“Don’t mention him in front of me!

“What of showing me goodwill? This is basically the biggest humiliation to me! Do you think I’m unaware that he’s buying my prompt-books without restraint to give it to his gang of scoundrels from all trades?”

Ruan san niang became more agitated with every word she spoke.

That damnable Qi Yue An actually dared to defile her prompt-book like this. None of his fox-like and dog-like friends were good things.

Owing to the suspicions she was harbouring in her heart, she kept her ears open to news regarding Qi Yue An in particular by gathering information from the noble daughters that were visiting her, as well as her fellow sister Shen xiaojie and Mu Qing Ci.

How could she possibly be unaware of what Qi Yue An had done? She could not forget the fact that Mu Qing Ling told her that Qi Yue An and her third older brother – who ate meat and vegetables without scruples – indulged in both men and women. As she continued to think about the broken things he had done, Ruan san niang felt incomparably disgusted.

Why did Qi Yue An dote on her fourth sister so much in the past lifetime then? It was highly probable that Qi Yue An liked men even more, and solely favouring her fourth sister was just a cover-up while he had other men in the dark.

That was what Ruan san niang surmised with a heart heavy with malice.

Yao Hong jumped in fright. She did not expect that her Young Lady would show such a huge reaction. From her perspective, wasn’t Qi er gongzi merely buying prompt-books and sending it to other people, why was her Young Lady so angry?

Afraid that her Young Lady would try to break off the engagement again, Yao Hong quickly put a few good words for Qi er gongzi.

“Young Lady, while the rumours outside say that Qi er gongzi is without the learning or the skill, from how nubi sees it, Qi er gongzi is quite good, and he regards yõu, his fiancée, with a great deal of importance.”

Qi Yue An was without the learning or the skill, Qi Yue An regarded her with great importance?

Truly, that was a joke as big as the skies.

Ruan san niang laughed coldly. In the previous lifetime, who was Qi Yue An, if not the person that had a meteoric rise in his bright official career? It was not like he was a changed person, right?

A changed person…

Ruan san niang’s heart lurched. Was it possible that Qi Yue An had become a different person? She was an example herself. After all, she never heard that Qi Yue An liked powders and rouge that were meant for women in the previous lifetime.

It was not possible for a person to change so much, unless they were playing the pig to eat the tiger, but Qi Yue An’s gaudy get-up with the smear of cosmetics from that day was on the opposite end of the spectrum from the lofty, handsome and high-spirited Qi Yue An in her memories…

Ruan san niang’s head became bigger the longer she thought about it. Seeing that Yao Hong was still attempting to put a good word in for Qi Yue An, she sent all the servants in the room out, annoyed.

Hence, she stayed in the room alone, thinking her wild thoughts.

Yao Hong bit her lips after being chased out. It was becoming increasingly difficult to serve her Young Lady.

The marriage was arranged for next year. How great would it be if it was this year, then she would not have to live in constant fear and be on edge.

……