~ Chapter 05 ~

(❀)
Part five,

" 의사와 교활한 여우 "
...

" 의사와 교활한 여우 "

-

While the traveling doctor was busy dealing with the situation with Kunikuzushi, the Murasaki cough had gotten worse. It wasn't quite life-threatening before, but the symptoms had suddenly begun to get worse. Even greater, the previous remedy used for it was no longer in effect. At least, not as efficiently as before. The only explainable reason for this was that the disease had become a mutant over time as it overcame the antidote used for it.

All the villages she had tended to in the past popped up in her mind these days. Due to her occupation, she wasn't one to hold grudges for long, but vowed to herself merely a year ago to never forgive the shogun for what he has done. Now that shogun just so happened to be Kabukimono of anyone he could've been, Y/n no longer knew how to feel. Resentment? Confusion? Relief?

She felt everything at once, at the same time felt like an empty bowl that the ingredients all flew out of while stirring up a disaster of emotions.

The promise made with the kids of Konda stood fresh. It was a small village, but everyone seemed to know each other like family. As much as she wished to sneak away and see them again.. Chances of a fox suddenly growing wings and flying up was more likely than the shogun letting his reunited friend step a foot out there.

Ever since waking up, that man was everywhere. And by that, everywhere. Taking a stroll in the garden? He's sitting by the benches, staring at her. In the library to grab a light novel? He's holding a book in his hand, but his eyes are on a certain someone, burning wholes into her instead. When Y/n confronted Kunikuzushi about this, he gave her an eye roll and a "You're delusional."

Talk about delusions.

Even bedtime didn't seem to be completely seperated from him. Kunikuzushi's constant nightmares woke him up in early mornings, and this devil refused to be the only one sulking from lack of sleep. It wasn't of rare occurence for him to waltz over to her chambers and wake her to read with him.

Don't misunderstand this. Y/n loved books and reading light novels. But Kunikuzushi may just be the first person to change that. Still, everyone else serving at the palace seemed to be grateful for the doctor's arrival which drastically changed their shogunate within days. Lucky are they, not needing to deal with his grumpy early-morning self nearly every day. Nor having to experience heart attacks whenever spotting tufts of blue hair everywhere within the span sunrise to the next sunrise.

When not spending time treating patients around the palace or talking with Kunikuzushi, gossiping with the maids became a hobby of hers. They filled her in with all the juicy drama going on in the mighty Tenshukaku- about the rumors of the two shogunate soldiers posted by the gates secretly dating, the tree near the garden once being used as support for intimate actions by a pair of drunk lovers once during an event...(?) It was truely a mystery of how they manage to get their hands on these rumors.