Chapter 4 | Tornado 2: Norman - Prague EF5

Jarred was up by Amber when suddenly the rain began to fall a lot faster. Then a sudden large hailstone smashes his back window.

Visibility got lower the more east he went. Once he made it to Bridge Creek, the precipitation backed off a bit, and Jarred saw one of the most scariest sights he had seen in his whole career.

A large destructive wedge tornado had formed just west of Norman, and was moving very, VERY slowly. Approximately 5 to 10 miles per hour to the northeast. But then, it shifted south when the tornado was just north of Bridge Creek, and was directly hit.

Everything was gone except for some foundations. Then the tornado began an easterly track. As it slammed through some portions of Newcaslte, Jarred and Julia had realized that this was a dangerous situation.

The tornado then halted over West Boyd Street in Norman, and continued a northeasterly track.

The tornado was a bit southeast of the Tinker Airforce Base, when it gained a bit more strength. With winds exceeding 245 miles per hour.

After a few extra minutes, the tornado halted on Interstate 40. The tornado gained even more strength and winds exceeded 290 miles per hour.

Parts of the road were lifted. Almost everything was destroyed. The situation would eventually get worse for some areas of Pottawattomie County.

Jarred had traveled across I-62 into Meeker, and saw that the tornado shifted again southeast. It directly hit Shawnee, and halted. Ground scouring was observed near Shawnee.

Debris was thrown many many miles away from the original location, and homes were picked up and thrown. Yes, WHOLE ENTIRE HOUSES.

The tornado continued a northeasterly track at around 3 miles per hour, and halted again in Northeastern Shawnee.

The damage across the path of the tornado was horrendous, but the tornado wasn't even over yet.

Due to the tornado moving to the northeastern area of Shawnee, you could see the central part of the town.

Jarred saw nothing. Not even any foundations.

There was nothing left there. The tornado then looped around and BACK into central Shawnee.

"This tornado path is the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my whole life." said Jarred as he just stared at the tornado.

"Yeah! But this is just so sad. People are being killed right now and their homes won't even be there!" Said Julia.

The tornado went south into Tecumseh, with winds at approximately 300 miles per hour exactly.

The amount of power flashes Storm spotters had seen was absolutely intense.

Then, the next threat had began to occur. The winds.

The storm was extending from Maud to McCloud, and it had winds exceeding 100 miles per hour.

The storm had made its way and then slammed into the areas.

Julia and Jarred hurried into their cars and began recording the winds as well as the tornado. Jarred hid behind the wall of his car while he set a probe down, and drove east.

Only about half a mile though. He opened his Probe Reader and got a gust of 108 miles per hour. This was a destructive line of thunderstorms.

Then, Jarred barely saw it in the distance, he saw Julia's vehicle tip over, and fall on its side.

Jarred got out in the destructive winds and attempted to push it back over.

It took all his strength to get it on its wheels.

He ran back into his car and the winds began to calm down, they had moved out. Though when they looked, the tornado had moved a bit east of Shawnee, and yet again continued a northeasterly path.

After a few minutes, it went through some portions of Johnson, and partially weakened a bit. Down to EF4 strength.

It had continued its track for even longer when it weakened significantly around 2 miles southwest of Prague, around EF2 strength.

It entered Central Prague, and lifted.

The tornado was the worst thing Jarred had seen in his life. Nothing was left in Shawnee except for debris and a few parts of foundations.

It was like a Nuclear Bomb went through.

"Oh my god! We gotta get there this is way too bad!" Yelled Julia, scared of what just occurred.

Though a large and powerful tornado just went through, something really bad happened.

The National Weather Service building was moderately damaged, and the NOAA Weather Radio station temporarily went off the air.

Which is not good.

Everything, everything went down to Shawnee, Norman, Bridge Creek, everywhere. Just complete destruction was just everywhere.

Jarred hugged Julia, glad they were alive.

"I'm so glad we're not dead." Said Jarred.

A new supercell formed near Norman, but didn't produce anything. The damage was just too unreal.

Cars were mangled and destroyed like nothing seen before. Buildings were just...

Nothing anymore.

The scary thing was, now nobody can get warnings. Except from KFOR.

The KFOR news channel is still capable of giving updates. Which is great news!

Emergency Management reported some of the most gruesome things ever.

Jarred was scared that if he and Julia would survive chasing the whole outbreak. Central Oklahoma would probably be completely destroyed after this.

Though many shelters were being setup or already were in case it gets too horrible for the two to chase.

Storm surveys took a very short amount of time, as it was known exactly what rating it would be.

Jarred quickly drove to Norman to look at damage. Again, it was like something he had never seen before. So much buildings were just, not even a thing anymore.

Power lines had Been picked up and thrown very far away. Cars were so mangled, that it was so hard to tell if it was a car or a 3 year old trying to draw one.

Absolute devastation was reported and confirmed. NWS Norman knew the exact statistics when the cost of the tornado had come out, which was about 14 days later.

Well... The Stats Are:

Max Width: 1.2 Miles Wide
Max Winds: 300 mph
Cost: 2.3B USD in Damages
437 deaths
1009 injuries

This was an extremely bad day for the OKC areas.

The next thing wouldn't be as bad, but still a bad occurrence.