Chapter 6 | The Wind Part

As Jarred left the metro, the winds began to pick up, quickly. Winds exceeded 73 miles per hour, with the heavy rains, pounding on the car window as hard as a lot of pea sized hail stones.

Visibility was limited and Jarred had to park on the side of the road, and wait out this part of the storm.

The beginning wasn't as horrible, as the winds were only from 60-75 miles per hour. Though it still did damage.

Jarred's wind measuring device was on top of his car, measuring the wind speeds as the storm raged on, winds sped up a bit to around 70-78 miles per hour.

Jarred looked behind him to see a power line fall onto the road, right in front of another vehicle. The winds had began to calm down a bit more to 55-65 miles per hour, though the rain fell harder. Keeping the visibility as low as can be.

Winds sped up, very quickly to 78-83 miles per hour.  Jarred looked in front of him to see power flashes and power lines fall down.

Jarred was trapped.

Jarred needed to find a way out of the situation he was in but the winds and rain weren't doing him a favor.

Winds strengthened once more to 84-87 miles per hour. More power lines fell onto the road around Jarred. One power line to his left almost hit his car.

Jarred was terrified. More terrified than him getting close to those tornadoes, he was closer to death than before.

Julia called Jarred on the phone but Jarred didn't get any service to call, so he couldn't pick up, leaving Julia worried.

Winds got even stronger, finally reaching 90 miles per hour. Damage around Jarred was significant and he didn't like it. He HAD to find a way out fast.

There was a risky exit to the situation, a very slim space between the road and a power line gave barely enough room for Jarred to drive out of the problem.

The winds reached 100 miles per hour and things began to turn into chaos.

Building roofs got ripped off and blown onto the road, houses were moderately to significantly damaged.

What was occurring, was a derecho.

What's a derecho?: (Source: Wikipedia) A derecho (/dəˈreɪtʃoʊ/, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], 'straight')[1] is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system.

Derechos can cause hurricanic and tornadic level winds, heavy rains, and flash floods. In many cases, convection-induced winds take on a bow echo (backward "C") form of squall line, often forming beneath an area of diverging upper tropospheric winds, and in a region of both rich low-level moisture and warm-air advection. Derechos move rapidly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind remains sustained for a greater period of time (often increasing in strength after onset), and may exceed hurricane-force. A derecho-producing convective system may remain active for many hours and, occasionally, over multiple days.

Jarred realized that it was a faster moving storm, so it would be over in just a few minutes.

He was correct, after about 5 to 7 minutes, the winds calmed down to 25 to 35 miles per hour, which is way better than 100.

Jarred had enough time to observe the damage and it was horrendous.

Like a EF1 tornado right over the metro, which is still a bad tornado.

Though no deaths occurred, around 26 injuries occurred. Just from the straight line winds.

Jarred left the metro and headed to Yukon to position near a new supercell.