03

Today, it was just Madeline and I.

We were sat in the Artillery Bunker, it was our usual hang out spot in Cove Park- it was quiet and not many people walked through the area.

She bought these expensive chocolates, she was insisting I tried them. Madeline never struggled with money. Sometimes it felt as if I was leeching off her. She says she doesn't mind but I do.

"I can't get any signal here, soon I'll probably walk around and try and find some." I said and she nodded, sipping her Dr. Pepper. She loved the drink, I was more of a Coca-Cola girl.

"Did you hear that Gemma confessed to Evan? Apparently he just said ok." Mads starts- she knows I've heard it, I was there at the time.

"It was so obvious he didn't like her, I'm surprised she didn't see that." I mumble as I stuff my face with chocolate. "She always says for me to talk to him in Photography. He just rolls his eyes but we begin to talk about other things instead. It's always about Leo with him. He thinks I'm in love."

Gems waited outside class with me, she always did when I had photography.

"Can you talk to him today?" She asked, the tone in her voice implied she thought I was going to say no. I always said yes, even though sometimes I didn't say anything to Evan.

"Why don't you talk to him in person?" I asked back and I saw in the corner of my eye Evan walking towards the class. When I looked back, Gemma's face was as red as a tomato. I rolled my eyes.

"Because..." She responded. She knew she didn't have a real answer. She's liked all of his friend group, including Leo. Leo liked her back but she rejected him- she was into Evan instead at the time.

When the line started filtering into the classroom, she started to walk away. "Please?" She asked, I look over to Evan, his tall stance unchanged but his face seems just slightly amused. I knew he knew.

When I sat down next to him, I mustered up the courage to talk to him. We weren't close- closer since Leo- but still not close. He was my first crush, I still have a lingering feeling for him, I guess. I was just holding onto the past, though. I didn't want to be with him, I just amuse myself with the thought.

"Evan," I mumble to him. He turned and I already regretted talking. "Gemma asked me to talk to you."

"Of course she did." he replied, he went red and rolled his eyes. "Anyways... how's Leo?" He asked to tease me. We ended talking for the whole double lesson. That was more than I spoke to Leo combined.

"Why do you talk to him for her, anyways? Just say no." Mads says to me, sipping her drink again.

I shrug and stand up, phone in hand. "It's fun. I get to see his perspective with things." I say.

I walk out through the gap then climb the three tall steps to the grass. There are a few benches around but my eyes lock with one in particular. I smile, and walk off to get connection.