thirteen

Valentina's day took an unexpected turn when her college friend Rita paid her a surprise visit. Val welcomed her friend with a warm hug, genuinely happy to see her.

"Rita, what brings you here?" Val asked curiously. While they were close and met up frequently, this visit seemed impromptu.

Rita smiled and revealed the reason behind her visit. "You know I'm getting married, right?"

Val nodded, "Of course, I sent you the RSVP, and I'm genuinely happy for you."

Rita's expression turned somewhat sheepish as she continued, "I'm sorry to ask you this so late, but we had planned for two bridesmaids, my sister and Elle. However, Elle had to go to the US for something on the same weekend, so she cancelled last minute. I don't want there to be an uneven bridesmaid-to-groomsmen ratio. The only other friends I have are you and Fleur, but I'm not very fond of Fleur anymore. So, by any chance, could you be my bridesmaid?"

Valentina was touched by the request and didn't hesitate for a moment. "Of course, Rita. It would be my pleasure. Thank you for considering me."

Rita's face brightened with gratitude. "Great! Wear any pink dress you like. Also, I'm sorry to tell you, but Patrick will be there. I couldn't stop Felix from inviting him, they're cousins, you know. But I promise if he makes a scene, I'll throw him out."

They shared a few more words, and then Rita took her leave.

 Carlos arrived about 10 minutes later, explaining, "Sorry, I'm a tad bit late. Got a call and lost sense of time."

Valentina reassured him, saying, "That's okay. Let's watch a movie while we have dinner?"

Carlos agreed, "That sounds great."

As they settled in to watch the movie, Valentina suddenly turned to him and asked, "Will you be my plus one to the wedding of my friend this weekend?"

Carlos listened attentively as she continued, "I know you don't know them, and you might feel out of place there. You could even consider me selfish, but my ex will be there, and I don't want to be seen as a person who is still single. Although I technically didn't date anyone after him, the world, especially the friends who will pity me, doesn't need to know that. And technically, you are my..."

Valentina paused, and Carlos playfully prompted, "I am your what?"

She smiled warmly and said, "You are my 'mi amor.'"

Carlos chuckled and replied, "I'll be your plus one."

Valentina beamed with delight. "Great! You also drive a Ferrari, and he is an F1 fan, so it's kind of like a boast for me."

Carlos joked, "Ah, I'm going to be the trophy partner?"

Valentina giggled, appreciating his humour and understanding.

The wedding day had arrived and Valentina looked beautiful in pink, Carlos couldn't take his eyes off her. Both of them arrived at the location. while Carlos parked his car, Valentina walked in and was met by her college friends. 

Valentina stood there, trying to maintain her composure, as her college friends greeted her with snide remarks and thinly veiled jabs. She smiled politely, not wanting to make a scene on Rita's wedding day.

"Oh, all alone, Valentina?" Fleur, her ex-best friend, said with a haughty tone.

"27 is quite old to be alone, isn't it?" another one of her friends chimed in.

Patrick, her ex-boyfriend, couldn't resist taking a dig, "Well, technically, she doesn't know how to hold onto a man." Their words stung, but Valentina held her head high.

But the final blow came from Theo, one of the groomsmen, who questioned her about the RSVP. "But really, Val, I helped Felix and Rita with invitations and RSVPs, and you literally wrote, 'Plus one if available.' What's that supposed to mean?"

Valentina felt her confidence waver for a moment.

"Well, that means if I was in town, I'd come. I travel a lot for work; I'm in F1, you see," Carlos smoothly interjected as he walked up to them, wrapping an arm around Valentina and pulling her close. "I'm Carlos Sainz, and I'm Valentina's boyfriend," he declared proudly.

The room fell into a momentary silence as the realization set in. Valentina's friends were taken aback, not expecting this confident and successful man to be Valentina's partner. Carlos didn't give them a chance to react further.

"If you'll excuse us, my girlfriend is a bridesmaid, and she needs to be with the bride," Carlos said with a smile. He gently guided Valentina away from the judgmental gazes of her college friends, and as they walked off together, she whispered a thank you while he leaned in to kiss her on the cheek as a reply.

Patrick approached them during the wedding reception.

"I see you finally got over your commitment issues, Val. I'm Patrick, by the way, a big fan of F1, Carlos," Patrick greeted.

Valentina didn't mince her words. She responded confidently, "Well, I got my commitment issues when you decided to put your dick inside my best friend. And just like you, the commitment issues didn't last long."

Before Patrick could respond, Carlos smoothly intervened, "I think we should leave. I have things to do, and people to meet. Let's say goodbye to Rita, shall we?" he suggested, gently but firmly guiding Valentina away from the situation.

With Carlos by her side, Valentina felt both protected and supported. They made their exit gracefully, leaving behind any lingering tension.