Part 8

"Are you serious with this right now?" She scowls, just managing to close the door on Laura's police cruiser before she pulls out of the driveway. "I look like an extra from Grease."

Laura laughs. The clothes she had left for Stiles fit okay but are clearly stolen from both her and Derek's respective closets: the jeans are tighter than she's used to, but the shirt is an old Beacon Hills Baseball jersey, clearly Derek's from a few years ago, over a long-sleeved but thin women's henley. She's keeping the large leather jacket balled up in her lap. "I'll stop at your place just long enough for you to grab your bag – don't change," Laura warns her, "or I'll be late for work. We're cutting it pretty close as it is."

"Or you could just drop me off at home and I can drive my jeep to– oh."

"Yeah," Laura agrees, "Oh. Your Jeep is still out at the preserve. We'll grab it later."

Stiles huffs out a sigh of defeat. "Okay. Thanks," she adds belatedly. "Even though I'd definitely rather stick around for werewolf training or whatever."

"We'll probably do more tonight, don't worry. I'm a better teacher than Derek," Laura explains, "but he's better at dealing with, uh, internal conflict."

The verbal stumble is out of character for Laura but Stiles lets it pass because they're almost at her house. "Grab your meds and stuff, too," Laura adds as she pulls into the driveway. "You're going to have to stay with us awhile longer at least."

"Yeah, I figured," Stiles says and hops out of the car to head inside.

Her backpack is just inside the door where she left it, but she hauls it up over one shoulder and upstairs to her room to shove half her underwear drawer, her laptop, the power cord, her pills, some toiletries, and Scott's old hoodie that she borrowed kind of permanently into the bag. Downstairs she steals a few twenties from the emergency pizza money stashed in a napkin holder and is back outside with the house locked behind her in record time.