Crime(s)

It was dark outside when you received the Devil Bats contact list. You were told ahead of time that you'd get it through fax, so you stood beside the machine as soon as you got home. You quickly snatched it and went back to your room with it before your mom could see it.
'That's a lot of numbers...' you thought, then flinched when your phone rang.
"(Y/n)-chan~!" you unknowingly smiled when you heard Kurita's voice filled with joy. "I'm so happy~ we have all these new contacts! I'll call Komusubi too! Let's do our best tomorrow! Sleep well!"
Then he hung up, not letting you say a single word. You sighed, still smiling.
'I guess I should save these.' you looked at the list. 'That way I won't get any surprises.'

Before you could even do that, you got another call, from Mamori surprisingly.
"(L/n)? This is Mamori, I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
"Nah. What is it?"
"I was just wondering if by any chance you knew Eyeshield 21's number? I want to add him to the contact list."
You frowned.
"Why would I have it?"
You heard her sigh.
"That's exactly what the three brothers told me."
"Pffff!" you cackled. "Why would they have it?!"
"I thought it was worth a shot okay?!"
You sighed, smiling.

"I'm sure Hiruma would know-"
"Oh please don't. I've been dreading this moment."
You could hear her eyes roll from here, it made you snicker.
"If you really wanna know anything football related, you gotta ask him." you shrugged. "Worse case scenario, he'll tell you to fuck off and hang up on you."
"You don't get it (L/n)! He's not as nice with you as he is with everyone else!"
"Excuse me?!" you leaned forward. "Nice with me?!"

"You have to admit he treats you differently."
"Yeah, he's got special treatments designed for all his minions!"
There was a moment of silence.
"...Oh!" Mamori spoke again. "Yes. You know what, you're right. I should probably call him now, I don't want to bother you any longer."
"Yeah yeah, go do that." you leaned back in your desk chair.
She said 'see you tomorrow' and hung up. You huffed as you created a contact for her. With your flip-phone, you could label your contacts. You've hardly ever used your phone so you checked out the options: boy/girlfriend; sibling; mom/dad; friend. Your finger hovered over that last one, but then you groaned and tossed your phone onto your bed before going back to your homework.

The next day, for morning practice at school, Hiruma sent Sena to "bring Eyeshield here". But when he did, Mamori went after him.
"Did she call you last night to ask about Eyeshield?" you asked Hiruma.
"Kekekeke she sure did!" he cackled.
"She asked you guys too?!" Kurita exclaimed.
"She called me too." Monta sighed, holding back tears in anger. "To talk about Eyeshield of all people! Damn him!"
She came back before Eyeshield, which was good, since that meant Sena managed to lose her. Today's practice would be all about endurance and stamina, running through cones and doing laps. Hiruma wanted to time you for a forty yard sprint, which you absolutely refused. You didn't want to put numbers on your mediocrity.
"Nobody's going anywhere until you do it."
It was true that the longer you waited, the worse it was going to be. So you finally did it. You almost fell over when you were done and hunched over, panting with your hands on your knees.

"Don't tell me!" you raised a hand towards Hiruma.
He didn't say anything, but instead went up to you and showed you the timer: ten seconds. You felt a twist in your heart. Kurita's time was 6.1.
"You wanna try again?" you looked up at Hiruma. "'Cause I can tell that wasn't your full speed."
You took one last deep breath and stood up straight.
"Yes."
"Oooooh~!" Monta smiled as you walk back to the starting line. "She's fired up! Come on, determination MAX!!!"
"Go (Y/n)-chan!" Kurita waved at you.
The three brothers just huffed, not expecting much from you, while Sena and Yukimitsu hesitated to say anything to you. You got in position.
'Like your life depends on it.' you told yourself.

Hiruma set up the timer again.
"Set...Go!" he fired a gun in the air.
You dashed to the best of you abilities. You pictured your worst fear and imagined it behind you. Once you went passed the finish line, you let yourself drop on the ground. Hiruma looked at your time and smile.
"Much better Cherry! You shaved two and a half seconds!"
Sena, Monta, Komusubi and Yukimitsu let out an impressed 'ooooh' as Kurita cheered and went to pick you up. You didn't share that sentiment though.
'7.5 seconds? That's just as bad.'