Chapter 3

Rishabh reached Basu Badi and behind him the staff came with the suitcases. He saw the Basus sitting in the living room and royally ignored them.

Rishabh - Prerna... Prerna ! Ye kaha chali gayi ?

Just then he saw Prerna entering with Kukki sleeping in her arms and the driver behind holding her bag in his hands. He then noticed the bandaid in Kukki's hands.

Rishabh - Kukki ! Kya hua ise ? Prerna ye chhot kaise lagi ?

The Basus were confused. Who was the child ? And why were Prerna and Rishabh so concerned about her ?

Prerna - Shh ! So rahi hai. Mai aapko sab batati hu but pehle isse room me lejane me meri help kijiye.

Rishabh and Prerna take Kukki to the room upstairs. After making her lay on the bed, Prerna tells everything to Rishabh. Rishabh's blood boils at the carelessness of the teachers but Prerna somehow explains him that children do get injured while playing sometimes and she had already taken the class of the teachers so he need not worry. Rishabh thanked Prerna for everything.

Prerna - Don't ! Kukki meri beti hai. Uske liye kuch karna mera haq aur farz dono hai. Dobara apne mujhe aise Thanks bolkar paraya feel karwaya to mai aapse baat nahi karungi.

Rishabh (with a subtle smile) - Achha baba sorry. Nahi bolunga mai aapko thanks. Infact, mai to maa aur beti ke beech mein kuch bolunga hi nahi.

Prerna - Better.

They laid on the bed with Kukki in between them. A comfortable silence prevailed. Rishabh broke the silence by asking something to Prerna.

Rishabh - Prerna, aapka college ka last semester baki hai. Why don't you complete it ?

Prerna - Suddenly ye baat kyu ?

Rishabh - Suddenly nahi. Mai bas soch raha tha ki mere office aur Kukki ke school chale jane ke baad aap ghar par akeli reh jati hain. Nothing to do. So why don't you utilise that time into doing something productive. Apni padhai complete kariye and then if you want you can join office. I will personally train you. Aur agar aap chahein to kisi aur company mein bhi apply kar sakti hain. I don't have any problem.

Prerna - But Kukki...

Rishabh - Oh come on Prerna. Working mother naam ka bhi ek notion hota hai. Kukki should know that her mother is a strong independent woman. Kukki ko maa ka pyar dene ke liye aapko 24 hrs uske pass hona zaroori nahi hai. And I know one thing aap sab kuch boht achhe se manage kar lengi. And mai bhi to hu aapki help karne ke liye. Kukki hum dono ki beti hai. Isliye uski responsibility hum dono milkar uthayenge.

Prerna - Thik hai mujhe ek din ka time dijiye. Mai kal aapko batati hu kya karna hai. Mai dekhkar aati hu lunch ready hua ki nahi.

Rishabh nodded at her and Prerna left. As she descended the stairs and came into the living room, someone's words made her steps halt.

Anurag - Wo bachhi kaun hai ?

Prerna - Kukki. Kukki Rishabh Bajaj. Meri beti.

Anurag - What ! Tumhari beti ? How can this be possible Prerna !

Prerna - Maa banne ke liye janam dena zaruri nahi hai Anurag. Kukki meri aur Rishabh ki beti hai aur yahi sach hai.

Nivedita - To beti hai ek Mr. Bajaj ki. Kahin apni beti ko maa ka pyar dene ke liye to unhone tumse shadi nhi kari ? Mrs. Bajaj bankar asman me udd rahi hogi na tum but you know what Prerna you are nothing more than a glorified nanny for his daughter. That's it. That's your only worth.

"BEWARE OF YOUR WORDS AND YOUR TONE MRS. SENGUPTA. YOU'RE TALKING TO MY WIFE."

Rishabh's voice boomed in the living room of the Basu Badi. He continued speaking while descending the stairs.

Rishabh - And no one on this Earth gets to disrespect her, I repeat, NO ONE. She is MRS. PRERNA RISHABH BAJAJ, MY WIFE, QUEEN OF BAJAJ EMPIRE and that's HER WORTH. She has the power to bring so many like you on roads just in a matter of seconds. So be careful when you say anything about her to her or to anyone else next time because she might be an epitome of forgiveness but I'm not. I will destroy your whole world if you say anything bad about her.

Anurag - You can't talk to my sister like that.

Rishabh - And how dare your sister talk to my wife like that.

Anurag - Forced wife !

Rishabh - Whatever you say Mr. Basu, the truth isn't gonna change. Prerna is my wife now. She is Mrs. Prerna Rishabh Bajaj.

Anurag - Not for very long because I will win her back.

Rishabh - Do whatever you want. You won't succeed because I won't let her go away from me at any cost.

Rishabh's anger was reaching folds and Prerna knew she had to interfere now. She held his hand and his name escaped her lips softly.

Prerna - Rishabh !

Prerna didn't knew why she called him by his first name at that time but the name came out of her lips so effortlessly. That soft touch of hers was enough to calm down his senses. All his anger seemed to vanish the moment he heard his name escaped her lips. He turned towards her clasped his other hand above hers which was holding him.

Rishabh - Aap theek hain ?

Prerna - Mai theek hu.

Rishabh - Aap room mein jaiye. Mujhe ek important call karni hai. Mai aata hu.

Prerna - Theek hai. Mai jakar Kukki ko uthati hu. Lunch ka time ho gaya hai.

Rishabh nods at her and orders Chandu to get their lunch in their room. Prerna went to Kukki's room and woke her up. The child was initially scared in new surroundings but calmed down seeing her mother. Prerna explained her that they were in their new home and they had shifted there because of Papa's important work but will soon go back to Bajaj Mansion. She helped her freshen up and the mother daughter duo was soon joined by Rishabh. The three of them then had their happy meal together.