Chapter One: "He Was a Friend and a Pillar of the Community"

⚠ Disclaimer: “All characters, organizations, places, incidents and events are fictional and based on the writer’s perception. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.”

Reston-Ville City, United States.
S.I.N HQ.
Director Cobalt’s Office.
43 Hours after the Death of Daniel Sutton.

Agent Watson knocked lightly on the door before he asked, “May I come in, sir?”

“Yes, please, have a seat, Agent Watson,” Director Cobalt replied, gesturing toward the couch as they both took their seats.

“I mourn for your loss, sir. Mr. Daniel was a good person,” Watson said.

“Thank you, Watson. But it's part of the law of nature; we are all going to die sooner or later. Let's put that chapter behind us and discuss why I actually called you for an urgent meeting.”

Watson inquired, “And why is that, sir?”

“I've known Daniel since we were kids. He was a good friend, and not just that, Daniel had been a pillar of our community. He contributed to countless donations that saved the lives of many. Daniel never kept a secret from me, and he never mentioned having heart problems. So, why the sudden heart attack?”

Watson questioned, “But I thought the doctors who examined his body confirmed that it was a heart attack. What exactly are you getting at, Director?”

“Let's disregard what the doctors said, Watson. Doctors aren't always specialists. I spoke to Daniel's wife hours ago, and she told me that he had no arguments when he returned from work. In fact, she said he was happy when he came home. So, tell me, how can a happy businessman return to his family from work and suddenly suffer a heart attack?”

Watson pondered, “So… you suspect that Daniel's death wasn't a natural heart attack, but rather a homicide?”

“Precisely, Watson. I asked his wife for full authorization to perform an autopsy, and she agreed. I want you and Agent Patricia to investigate this thoroughly and uncover the truth, whether it's a natural death or a homicide. Find the truth, Watson.”

“I will do my best, Sir...”

“Do what you do best. You may leave.”

Agent Watson's footsteps retreated from the office.