Chapter Three: "Lethal Dose"

S.I.N LAB,
4 Hours Later.

Agent Patricia, growing impatient, questioned, "How long have they been in there? Do you think they've found anything? What could..."

Watson interjected, "Patience, Patricia. Autopsies take time; it's not as straight forward as hacking into a federal account. We must wait, and I'm confident they'll conclude soon."

Patricia muttered her complaints in an almost inaudible tone, "But we've been waiting for four hours now. And who says hacking a federal account is easy, anyway?"

Inquisitively, Patricia asked aloud, "Actually, who ever told you that gaining access to any data is simple?"

Watson's response was interrupted by the whooshing of the lab door behind him. Dr. Kelly emerged, removing her gloves and regarding them both.

Dr. Kelly expressed her apologies, "I apologize for the extended delay."

Watson inquired, "Is there any cause for suspicion?"

Dr. Kelly explained, "Indeed, we discovered something perplexing initially, necessitating multiple autopsies."

Patricia asked, "So, was it murder? I mean, Mr. Daniel Sutton."

Watson, his tone measured, requested, "Let Dr. Kelly elucidate."

Dr. Kelly clarified, "Yes, Mr. Sutton was indeed murdered. After our second autopsy, we uncovered a needle mark on his neck. Further tests revealed he was poisoned with a potent substance known as Strychnine. Strychnine is a colorless, odorless, bitter crystalline powder. When administered intravenously, even in minute quantities, it induces a rapid heart attack, resulting in death."

Watson concurred, "That clarifies why the initial diagnosis didn't detect foul play."

Dr. Kelly continued, "Additionally, based on the time of the incident, it appears he was poisoned around 10 PM, hours after his return from work."

Watson deduced, "So he was poisoned in his own residence?"

Patricia added, "That implies someone within his family may have committed the act."

Dr. Kelly responded, "Considering the time frame, I would concur with that assessment."

Watson, determined, declared, "We have no time to spare, Patricia. Contact Agent Andrew, instruct him to officially declare Mr. Sutton's death and broadcast it on every channel. Also, notify Sutton's family that they are not to leave their home. We'll be conducting interrogations, as all of them are potential suspects. Thank you, Kelly. Inform us immediately if you discover any further details."

With urgency, Watson and Patricia hastily exited the lab.