Always an Angel, Never a God

⚓️

𝒔𝒆𝒂, 𝒔𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒎𝒆

       "I am more powerful than I       am damaged and I will rise       from any abyss you drown me       in

am damaged and I will rise
from any abyss you drown me
in."

Never Forget, Nikita Gill

⚓️

BEING A BANISHED ONE was a fate worse than death.

It was a sentence for pirates who dared to break the pirate code, who committed a crime so heinous that even an execution was too good for them. Death would be a mercy. Being a Banished One meant being on the run for as long as you lived, always looking over your shoulder, fearing for your life, because every pirate would be out to get you. You were branded as an enemy. Branded by the deep scars covering your arms caused by the brutal and gruesome punishment of acid being poured over your arms, making you recognizable everywhere you went.

To survive, you had to become a ghost.

That was the fate that had befallen Keeli Arata.

Kidnapped as a seven-year-old girl by the infamous Captain Krait of the Cobra Pirates, Keeli grew up as a pirate. She started out doing the dirty work on the ship, but as she grew older, she became part of the group. And although she despised the ruthlessness of the crew, she fell in love with the sea, with a pirate's life. A life free to go wherever she wanted to, with the salty wind in her hair, blowing through her curls, with the sky above and the water below.

That was the future she had always dreamed of — to, someday, get her own ship and explore the world. On her own terms.

But then, Keeli's loyalty to her crew was questioned, and she had made a choice. A choice that ended in her banishment. Robbed of her life, of the little freedom she had had, Keeli was forced to survive on her own, in a world where every pirate wanted her dead, and every Marine wanted her arrested. And her dream of sailing the seas was lost — it had died the moment the acid had touched her arms.