Chapter Seven

A/N: Please check out chapter 4 of my "new" book, Heartbreaker! And if you can, kindly leave some feedback! Simply telling me you liked the chapter (or not 💀) goes a long way. Happy to reciprocate for my fellow authors who'd also like some feedback. Anyways, happy reading!

🤍

...

Megan slammed the office door hard enough to make the glass enclosure rattle. Six agents slumped around the table, staring at their pens, was enough to send her over the edge. Megan stood at the end of the table, breathing heavily, trying to contain her anger.

"How many of you have been on this detail for more than six months?" she asked, her words clipped. There was a moment of silence, then Mac cleared his throat.

"All of us, ma'am."

"All of you." She looked at each of them one by one. "All of you."

"Yes ma'am," he responded.

"Obviously, none of you are capable of this assignment, nor worthy of it. Normani Hamilton, the daughter of the President of the United States, has been criminally unprotected for months, and not one of you reported it? Even if I could overlook your lack of responsibility to her– which I can't, it is impossible to excuse your silence regarding the potential danger to national security. If she were kidnapped, it would threaten the presidency." Leaning forward, both hands flat on the table, she said succinctly, "I want a request for transfer from every one of you on my desk in one hour."

As Megan turned toward the door, Paula Stark stood abruptly. "Commander!"

"Yes?" Megan questioned.

"I don't want a transfer, ma'am. I want this detail."

"Really? And why is that?"

Stark took a deep breath. "Because she's my responsibility, and because I can do what no one else can. I've spent months following her through half the gay bars in this city. I'm recognized, and I'm accepted. I can go where most of the others can't. You need an inside person, and that's me."

Megan regarded her silently.

The subordinate met Megan's penetrating gaze. "I should have filed a report sooner. We lose her regularly, and it's always because we're never informed of her route, or she changes it, or she intentionally lies to us. We're all frustrated, but that's no excuse."

"You're right. That's no excuse for what you all have been participating in. Regardless of Ms. Hamilton's duplicity, it is your sworn duty to guard her. If you don't have what it takes, you don't belong here. I don't want anyone on this team who doesn't want to be here." She looked over the rest of the group. "I'll see that there are no repercussions if you request a transfer now, but I guarantee that I will see you posted to an embassy in Somalia if you mess up on my detail again. Understood?"