Chapter Nineteen

"How did she take it?" Mac asked.

Assistant Director Stewart Carlisle studied Mac carefully, wondering how much he could disclose. What he saw was a look of genuine concern and something more, something that looked a lot like sympathy.

"She took it well— she didn't argue or put up a fight."

"Uh oh," Mac said hollowly.

"Yeah, worries me too." Stewart didn't know what to make of the look on Megan Pete's face when he informed her that she would not be returning to the security detail assigned to Normani Hamilton when she recovered. Her face was a careful blank, but for a moment, he thought he saw something dark pass through her eyes.

"Did the doctors say I wouldn't recover fully?" she had asked at length.

Carlisle had looked out the window, searching for words, wishing he had a different answer. He didn't understand it, but it wasn't his call. Megan Pete was a hero throughout the agency, and had been publicly commended by the President. She had done, without hesitation, what each of them had secretly asked themselves if they could do. She had been willing to die in the line of duty. They didn't come any better than her. What he had to say didn't make any sense.

"The doctors said you'll be fine. Miss Hamilton requested that you be removed from the position."

Megan's right hand gripped the covers tightly, but otherwise, she lay without moving. "I see," she said in a voice devoid of emotion. She had been hoping—What you were hoping doesn't matter anymore. You were wrong.

Carlisle tried to make light of the situation, assuring her that once she had made a full recovery, she could have her pick of assignments. Hell, he reminded her, after what she did, that she could sit out her days on a desert island until her pension came in for all anyone would care. Megan had let him go on, but he knew that she wasn't really listening to him. He felt like a fraud, but he did what he had to do. When he left the room, Megan was staring at some distant point, her face and body so still he could barely see her breathing.

"Yeah, well, she'll be fine. She always is," Carlisle said sadly.

Mac wasn't nearly so sure.

...

Nine months later, Megan was fully recovered and back at work. It was almost as if the last year had never happened. She finished rehab, completed her mandatory psychiatric counseling, and sat in front of Stewart Carlisle discussing her newest assignment. She had been reassigned to the investigative division, where her true instincts and abilities lay.

It was déjà vu, but everything was different, including her. She was more alone now than ever. As she was sorting through her things after being released from the hospital, she came across a note Beyoncé had left that night a lifetime ago.

I have a feeling I won't be hearing from you for a while. I'll miss you... more than you know. If ever you need anything, call me. B.

Megan never called.

She brought her attention back to what Carlisle was saying. He briefed her on the counterfeiting/money laundering operation her team would be investigating. She told him she had no problem with any of the agents assigned to her. Her field exposure would be limited, although she was perfectly fit for the duty. When she pointed this out, Stewart made it clear that he did not want her taking any risks.

"Being shot twice in the line of duty is enough for any agent," he commented dryly. "Despite the fact that you're a hero, you'll give us a bad name."

"Heaven forbid," Megan said with a perfectly straight face.

"Well, just keep your ass out of the line of fire," Stewart said roughly. He looked to the papers on his desk, indicating that their obligatory meeting was over. He was surprised when she spoke.

"How is Mac handling the other detail?" she said quietly.

He was almost successful in hiding his surprise. This was the first time Megan had referred in any way to her previous experiences since leaving the hospital. He contemplated issues of security for a few seconds, and then thought, What the hell, she deserves an answer.

"No major security breaches, if that's what you mean. He's very circumspect with his reports, but I gather that the subject is still throwing up roadblocks whenever possible." He regarded her intently for a moment. "As a matter of fact, I can use a straight briefing about what's going on up there. You're not due to report to this new post for a week or so. How about dropping in on Mac and getting the real story?"

Megan stiffened, her displeasure clear. "I'm not going to spy on another agent. Mac is perfectly capable, and I'm sure if you speak with him, he'll tell you whatever you need to know."

"I'm not doubting Mac's ability. But I'm no fool either. I know damn well that he is soft-peddling the details of the reports to protect Dawn. Remember, the guy who tried to kill her is still out there, and we couldn't keep her secluded forever. She is still in real and imminent danger. Any information can only help us. If you don't want to talk to Mac, talk to her."

Megan stood abruptly. "No way." She turned and strode purposefully toward the door.

"Pete," he said in that soft, deadly tone that meant he was completely serious. "Don't make me pull rank. Just find a way to do it that you can live with. Five days. Then I'll expect to hear from you."

Megan didn't answer. She didn't trust her voice not to tremble.

...

Hi readers ☺️,

So, here we are at the near end of the story. Only three more chapters to the end. I'll be converting the sequel as well, so look out for that! I'm excited to hear your thoughts on all the new developments.

Thoughts on Megan being removed from Normani's security detail? Her reaction at the hospital? Why do y'all think Normani asked her to be transferred despite her previous protests?

Thoughts on the 9 month time jump? How do y'all think Normani has been carrying on during that time? What do y'all think about Carlisle forcing Megan to check in on Mac, thereby forcing a reunion between her and Normani? Will things be awkward? Will they finally get together? Or will they only grow further apart?

As always, thank you all so much for reading, favoriting, and leaving feedback! This has been a fun, wild ride. And although this first part is coming to an end, I'm glad there's still more to Megan and Normani's story. I look forward to sharing more. See y'all again soon for the next update! 🤍