Chapter 53 - Are We Crazy for Believing?

Kevin (Vin) Creekman...

We both seemed to understand that it was time to be alone. Our day of being out in the open had come to an almost paralysing halt. I wished that it hadn't. I wanted today to be special. I wanted to give Lorelei a day to remember before we had to go back and pretend that we mean nothing to one another in front of everyone in our lives.

I hated that we had to lie.

I wanted everyone to know that Lorelei was mine.

I just don't know how they could even begin to understand what it is that is happening between us. Not when I am still confused and despite what Vadoma had just told us, I don't know how any of it is possible. I mean, I had never, before Lorelei, thought in my wildest dreams, that anything like reincarnation was possible. I never put any thought into soul-mates and even now, a part of me is screaming that it isn't possible. It's too far-fetched.

It's too unbelievable.

What are the odds that I find my soul-mate right under my nose where she has always been?

Wrapping my arm around my girl, I tucked her against my side and felt the tentative snake of her arm around my waist as we reached some sort of unspoken conclusion that we were heading back to the hotel.

We had a lot to talk about.

A lot to try and figure out.

Did she believe what Vadoma had told us?

I know that I did believe. As much as I wanted to deny it. As much as I wanted to just go back to the way things had been before these dreams started and before this attraction to her sparked – I also know that it simply isn't possible. I need her as much as I need my next breath.

As we make our way through the foyer at the hotel, my eyes can't help but dart around, looking for threats, alert for anyone who we might know and a part of me relaxed to find nothing.

We haven't spoken since leaving Vadoma's shop – I think we are both just trying to process what we have heard.

Reincarnation.

Soul-mates.

The Original recycled souls.

Curses.

Even one of those things is hard to believe but bunched together; the universe is asking us for a Hell of a lot of Faith.

I know Lorelei well enough at this point to know that the whole curse thing is going to be playing heavy on her mind. I know that she is going to be shouldering the blame of this on her shoulders. I know that she is going to retreat into her own mind as she tries to make all of it make some sort of sense to her. However here is the truth – if the shoe had been on the other foot, if I had been the one to watch what happened, happen to her, then I don't know that I would have reacted differently.

I don't know that I would have roared out my own curse at that bastard. As it stood, it tore my heart to pieces to see the way it had affected my girl both in the time it happened and in the version of her in my arms.

By the time we make it into our room and lock the door behind us, we both seem to be itching with our need to talk as we both spoke at the same time. "So, that was something -" I said.

"That was insane-" she said, and we both just looked at one another and laughed.

It was the perfect moment to break the tension that had grown since we left the shop. I moved across to her where she was stood by the large window looking out over the ocean, and stood behind her, looping my arms around her tiny little waist and she collapsed against me.