Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

My eyes flew open at the sound of someone pounding hard on my door. I looked over at Danu who lay next to me in the bed again. It was pitch dark in the room, late at night, but I could see he was awake, eyes wide with apprehension. Our boisterous day had me worried he might be healing too fast, or bottling up his fears, which was just as dangerous as not healing at all, but that terror in his expression told me such was not the case.

I touched him gently and reassuringly on the cheek, then got up and put on my robe, going to my sitting room.

“What is it?” I called through the door.

Peps’ muffled voice answered, “A word wit’ ye, Lady.”

“At this hour?” I opened the door. “What is it?”

He motioned to me and I stepped out and closed the door behind me.

“Th’ boy’s been found.” His brow creased in concern. “He’s in th’ infirm’ry.”

We strode quickly down the hall as he continued. “Yer trackers found ‘im at the edge o’ th’ forest, near Garli Harbor. He’s been tore into badly. Looks like ‘e’s been attacked by them Quilbai. I know ye’d wanted him followed but he weren’t goin’ nowhere in his condition, so they brought 'im back. Hasn’t got long t’ live, me thinks.”

Inside the infirmary, it stank of fear and fever and wounds seeping with infection. Veyga sat on his well-worn stool next to the cot the boy lay on, patting his forehead with a cool damp cloth. He looked up and shook his head sadly at me. The child looked to be perhaps twelve years in age. His tightly curled black hair was matted to his head with blood and fever-sweat. His dark skin contrasted starkly with the white sheets, his lips nearly white, cracked and bleeding.

“Poor boy,” Veyga said. “He should be bristling with life, running about and making mischief like you did. Instead, he lies here, fighting a fight he’s not likely to win. I’m surprised he’s made it this long.”

I stepped behind Veyga and put a hand softly on his shoulder, looking down at the boy.

The green light came unbidden, suddenly filling my vision, pouring out of my hand and sparkling down Veyga’s arm to where it rested on the boy’s head. Veyga’s eyes widened in surprise, but he didn’t move.

A few moments felt like ages, and my knees weakened and gave way as the boy's eyelids fluttered. Peps caught me under my arms and helped me turn to sit on the edge of the cot.

The boy stuttered something in a language I had never heard before. I took his hand and told him he was safe. Though I doubted he understood the words, he appeared to understand the kind look in my eyes, closing his own brown eyes and falling into a gentle sleep.

“Rinda!” Veyga exclaimed in a whisper so as not to awake the sleeping boy. “It is you! You told me but… such a strange gift, such a thing to see with my very eyes. I always knew you had a Healer’s soul.”

I smiled at him. “Let him sleep. When he wakes, hopefully at a decent hour, summon me again.”

At his nod, I got up and left the infirmary leaning heavily on Peps as he escorted me back to my suite.

“Any word on Mivius yet?” I whispered outside the door, staying his hand before he could open it for me.

“No, m’Lady. Three trackers were dispatched t’ search fer ‘im. But th’ ones as found th’ boy say th’ goin’ was slow. Wit’ th’ thunderstorms washin’ away th’ scent, th’ hounds are havin’ a harder time at it. I’ve not heard word as yet.”