Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

The encampment was in an uproar when I returned. It was nearly dawn; the eastern sky was just beginning to show signs of lightening. Apparently, I’d been gone the entire night. After a healing that intense, I should have been exhausted, falling off Lundir with every step he took. Instead, I was amazed to find myself energized. The surge in energy made me uneasy. Bashiir had said it would get easier with time; he said nothing of my healings suddenly rejuvenating me. Why had things changed? I couldn’t help but take it for an ill-omen; if the Goddess chose to grant me such energy, it was surely because it would be needed.

“I’m fine,” I said, as I brushed off the caring hands that were attempting to assist me from Lundir’s back. “Go make yourselves ready for battle, friends. Apethna guard you.”

“Lady, you should rest, you’ve been up all night,” Corina looked up at me scowling, as the rest moved away.

“Aye, I have, but do I look like I need rest?” Springing agilely from the horse’s back, I felt as if I had fire flowing in my veins. Through my unease, I grinned brightly at Corina.

“I could use breakfast though,” I said, my stomach rumbling. I frowned, thinking of the day looming before of us. “Nothing heavy please, and not too much, as I’m afraid I will leave it in the grass long before midday.”

I glanced at the open field between the enemy and my Raldians, bile rising in my throat as I recalled the gruesome horror this very meadow had seen a mere ten years ago.

A call rang out in the semi-darkness from the Navorans side of the fields. Scarcely a moment later, Nivetta was at my elbow.

“The captain wishes your presence in the command tent,” she said solemnly.

I started up the small hill where the captain’s tent dominated the rise, giving him the best view of the fields. Corina caught up with me as the first commander passed us going the other way on an errand and shoved a hard crust of flatbread into my hand and a skin of fruit juice. I smiled at her in thanks and shooed her back to my tent to prepare my gear.

“M’Lady,” the captain greeted me with his fist over his heart and a slight bow. I hated when he did that but they all insisted on sticking to tradition, especially now. “Th’ enemy’s mobilizin’. I’ve sent my first’n command to rouse th’ troops.” He glanced at Nivetta. “Don’t believe we’ll be granted th’ courtesy of a parley before th’ battle starts.”

Nivetta shook her head. The woman’s beautiful ice blue eyes were sad, but they seemed to crystallize as she spoke.

“They are here for one thing and one thing only. They do not want slaves; they will not make bargains. Captain, Lady, they are your worst enemy. You must treat them with no mercy.” She shivered and shrugged her cloak tightly around her against the chill of the morning, among other things I could only begin to imagine.

The captain’s first commander returned and we briefly went over what little plan we had, mostly focusing on the terrain and the pitfalls and advantages it offered us.

“Though it worries me to send the last of your blood out there, you’ll be leading the cavalry, Lady,” the captain looked up at me and studied my face solemnly for a moment, as if to determine whether I was up to the task. I nodded confidently. “You’ve the most experienced warhorse and with your… mind-link with the animals, I think you’ll be most effective there.” He looked somewhat uncomfortable with the idea; whether it was my newly acquired talents or his protectiveness for his liege-lady, I was unsure. I appreciated that he had enough certainty in my skill to send me into the first throes of the battle, despite the risk to my life and bloodline. Briefly, I wondered what my people might do should I be lost in the battle. Would they give up? Would they fight harder and prevail? And then who would take over the holdings, and who would decide? I shook off such dubious thoughts and the feelings they created in my heart. I needed to stay positive.