Chapter Twenty Three

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Warm arms which were wrapped comfortingly around me tightened as I stirred. Sounds of merrymaking met my ears and my mouth began to water with the scents of succulent roasted meat and vegetables.

“Mmmm,” I mumbled as Danu pulled me over to lay on top of his chest, stroking my hair. My stomach rumbled loudly, but I was loath to rise from the featherbed and leave Danu’s arms.

“You’re hungry,” he said quietly, and I nodded against his neck. He ran his hands down my back and his fingers bumped lightly over my ribs that had grown too prominent over the last days filled with worry.

“It’s a good thing nearly everyone is well and you’ll not have to play at this healing game any longer. It’s starving you. You should have eaten more.”

I pressed myself up off him with my elbows so I could see his face in the light from the setting sun that poured in through my window, warming the bed. “If only I had more hands,” I sighed dramatically. “I could have eaten and healed at the same time.”

He laughed and shoved me off him, leaping out of the bed, and then scooped me up in his arms. He nuzzled his face along my collarbone as he carried me to the copper tub which had been filled with steaming water. Then he gently set me on my feet and moved behind me to unlace my nightgown. The soft cloth slid over my skin and settled at my feet. I could feel the blood rushing to my face and quickly stepped into the hot water.

“The refugees from the town and the staff from the keep returned just before noon. Corina brought fresh sheets,” he commented, and I heard him move away, respectful of my modesty.

The shuffling sound of cloth came from behind me as he replaced the filthy bed clothes. “You fell asleep on your feet in the infirmary and I had to put you to bed covered in-”

I splashed warm water over my shoulder at him. “I don’t want to know. I’m ready to forget all about it and start clean today.”

His grin carried in his voice. “As you wish, my Lady.”

The soft padding of his bare feet crossed the lush floor rug and I felt his hands begin to loosen the braids at the nape of my neck.

“I’m afraid the celebration’s begun without you,” he said, combing his fingers through my loose hair.

“They sound very merry and drunk; I doubt they’ve noticed my absence,” I commented, yawning.

He leaned my head back and poured a pitcher of the warm water over my hair. “On the contrary; there’s been a constant stream of people coming to your door looking for you all day,” he replied, massaging a dab of orange scented soap into my scalp.

The sharp, refreshing scent helped to clear the last dregs of sleep from me while I scrubbed blood and dirt and Goddess-only-knew what else from my skin.

“I’ve gotten but two candle marks of rest since I brought you to your bed,” he complained.

I put a hand over my eyes to keep the citrus oil out of them while he rinsed the suds from my hair. Catching his wrist as he gathered the strands at my neck, I leaned my head back so I could see him, though from my vantage point he appeared upside down.

“If you must, go back to bed. Get some rest, Danu.”

He leaned forward and kissed my forehead, letting his lips linger momentarily as I closed my eyes.

“I can’t let you have all the fun,” he mumbled against my skin with a smile.

A knock sounded on the door and Corina slipped in.