Chapter Twenty Two

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Raldians and Navorans alike rose a clamor, bellowing loudly and beating their weapons against shields and armor, as the big gray war horse carried me back up the hill to Captain’s tent, Danu on Reiney at my side. Torches had been lit throughout the area and there were a few campfires that had been rekindled near the Healer’s tent where water was being heated.

“Welcome back, m’Lady. M’Lord,” said Captain Lauda, his one eye twinkling merrily and his face flushed with the pleasure and excitement of victory. “Your people and our new friends are eager to return to the keep,” he commented, gesturing at the field below the rise. Men and women in various tabards were moving about, helping the medics put the injured on travois so they could be moved to the base of the hill to be treated.

With a nod to the captain, I turned my mount so I was facing the soldiers and raised my fist in the air; the clamor grew even louder in response. A broad grin spread across my face as I felt a surge of pride for what we had accomplished. Then I opened my hand and waited for it to grow quiet.

“Raldians, allies! This night we have prevailed over our common enemy. I know you are all eager to return to your homes and to your families; however, your comrades are in need of your assistance. I’ll be sending our swiftest rider immediately to the caves where your families lay hidden. They will be sent to Tap Hill to gather wagons and bring them here. While we wait, I need everyone to find the fallen that yet live and bring them here to the base of the hill so our medics can stabilize them for the trip home. Do not pass anyone needing assistance, whether they be friend or foe.” Many of the soldiers grumbled at that, but I continued, raising my voice to be heard over them. “Raldia is a merciful land, which you well know! Do not disappoint me by smothering your compassion.”

Dismounting, I called out for Selanne. He arrived at my elbow almost momentarily and I gave him a leg up into the gray’s saddle with instructions to retrieve the refugees from the cavern. I asked him to take some as passengers swiftly to Tap Hill to get wagons and start on their way here, but not to exhaust himself doing so. He nodded, and with a clatter of hooves and a flash that left the soldiers’ mouths agape, he and the horse were gone.

I looked down at the crowd of surprised faces and grinned. “As I said - the swiftest rider. Now please, aid your fellows.”

The soldiers dispersed, heading back into the Ghost Fields to search for the living and speaking in hushed tones of what they had just witnessed.

Selanne would be cutting the time we had to wait by more than half by taking passengers from the caves to the town, but it would be late indeed before the wagons arrived to carry the injured home and we would be lucky to be in the keep before dawn.

A hand landed gently on my arm and I looked up to see Torsten’s honey-colored eyes gleaming in the torchlight. You’ll best serve those in the field who are near death, he said, and I nodded my agreement.

Corina shoved some bread, cheese and a skin of wine into my hands and as I trod down the rise into the chaos below, I quickly ate the food, hoping to stave off the exhaustion I knew would come with healing so many.

Candlemarks passed. Men and beasts around me lived or died. I carried on through the green fog induced by the healing energy flowing through me, determined not to drop as I stood from one patient and moved to the next. I used the green light sparingly, bringing back those who were near death just enough so they could survive and then putting them into a healing slumber. I comforted those that were too far gone to save, committing their names and faces to memory. They would live on in our stories and hearts, whether they were Raldians, Khalladians or Navorans.