Memories of Mipha - Zora Domain

Diary, forgive my shaky writing: my hands are trembling.

I reached the Zora domain today. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous palace, a feat of architecture so delicate and ornate that can bear such an astounding amount of pressure, weight, and complex pipe systems for the fountains.

It all felt quite familiar and nostalgic. Finally I climbed up to the central plaza and saw a statue of a young Zora woman.

A scene flooded my brain.

Me and her, Mipha, sitting on top of a great robotic elephant. I was hurt, and she was holding my arm.

It was chilly, but my chest felt warm and content. She spoke to me softly, without raising her eyes from the injury. Her fingers traced gently the outline of my wound, and where she lingered my skin felt fresh and whole again.
I remembered she swore to protect me. I remembered her skilled, clinical hands prodding and sweeping over me, the respectful way she pulled them back as soon as the job was done. I remembered her small, hopeful smile as she asked if we could spend time together once the war was done.

I said nothing.

Triforce. I said nothing.

Her smile didn't even falter.

It ended as abruptly as it came. I panicked. I delved into my own mind, screaming and searching and bullying it into giving me more, but nothing else came.

Only that scene remained. I pictured it again and again in my mind, every word, every movement, every thought.

Diary, it's getting hard to write.

But I want to write lest I forget again. So let it be written that Mipha loved me, and I loved her too -so very much!- but I never got the chance to say that out loud, even to myself... Goddess, I'm such a fool.

Let it be known that she was patient, that she was kind and clever and always, always thoughtful; that she had a heart bigger than any heart has ever had the right to be, that she was a wonderful person and a most precious friend.

And now she's gone. She's gone, and I failed her. I was supposed to save the world and I got myself killed like an idiot and now she's dead.

I understand why her mentor cannot stand me. Hell, she'd be the equivalent of a 30 year old human in the very prime of her life if she didn't die like a dog to Ganon as a teenager.

Her little brother barely even got to know her. When this is done, I need recover my memories and talk to Sidon. The prince deserves to know how wonderful his sister was.

They aren't much alike, diary; but he has her eyes. I am grateful that at least something of her still lives through him; I want to protect it at all costs.
This time around, I refuse to fail.