Chapter 8

"I never knew you could be this uptight," Joy said as she rolled her eyes watching Ella select jewelry in the bridal shop. Ella didn't hear a word her friend said. The idea of choosing a wreath or a teardrop necklace was what she was focused on. She held up the two and turned around to face her friend with a half frown.

"What do you think? Which one looks better on me?" Ella asked.

Joy crossed her arms and gave an angry glare. "Did you not hear me?"

Ella blinked and for the first time, finally focused on her friend's expression. "What did you say?"

"Oh my Lord, you're incredible! This whole time I've been bitching about how you're an uptight, over the wall bridezilla and you didn't hear a single word, did you?"

Lowering her hands, Ella set the necklaces aside and took her friend's hands. "I'm sorry. I'm just really nervous about everything and I want everything to be perfect. You know what Miles' mother thinks of me and so I want this to go well. I'm so sorry I've been in my own bubble."

"Your own bubble is fine, Ella, but when you ignore me like this, I feel as I'm a third wheel...between you and your damn thoughts!"

Laughing, Ella hugged her friend. "I'm so sorry! How about I buy my third wheel friend some spicy tacos with extra cheese? Will that solve the problem?"

"Yes," Joy murmured. "With extra sour cream and fries."

"You got it. Come on, let's go." The two walked out of the bridal shop and walking toward them was Miles' mother with her friends. The posse looked as if they were entering a gala with how they were dressed. Irene's face was more than rigid upon seeing her but she gathered up the courage and walked forward.

"Irene, hello," Ella said.

Irene squared her eyes and then she turned to her friends. "Well, I guess they're allowing just anyone to shop here these days. If you haven't met Miles' bride to be, this is her."

Joy laughed beside her and crossed her arms, checking out the group. "Ella, you never told me your mother-in-law to be had a posse."

Irene's face burned with red and she eyed Joy. "And you are?"

"No one you need to know until you hurt Ella."

"Joy!" Ella whispered. She turned back to Irene and forced a smile. "Forgive my friend. She seems to forget she lives on earth. Are you shopping for jewelry? I hear this place is the best in town."

Irene smirked as she replied, "It used to be. Come on girls, let's go somewhere a little higher class." Her friends and her turned to go and Joy made a face as Ella pinched her arm.

"Ow!" Joy cried.

"Why did you have to do that?"

Joy laughed and pinched her back. "You are scared of her, aren't you? Well, I'm not! She can parade all around town with her high and mighty friends, but she is not fooling me. She's a sad woman with no one who loves her." Ella didn't answer because deep down, she knew Joy was right.

The restaurant was busy as Ella made her way through the crowd and found Miles sitting in the back, leaning against the seat, wearing a blue navy button down shirt sipping on a glass of red wine. When he noticed her and looked up, she felt her tummy flip as she smiled. He stood and embraced her as he gave her a deep kiss before helping her to sit down.

"I tried calling you earlier for lunch, but you didn't pick up," he said.

"Oh! I'm sorry. My phone died on me. I was with Joy, shopping for bling," she said with a smile.