Altered Gaze

Gwaine spots the Mortaeus as they both come to a ravine, separating them and the flower, Arthur once again gets flashbacks to how the path was destroyed.

Arthur: Lets get this over with, this place holds bad memories.

Gwaine nods and takes out some rope they brought with them. He begins tying the rope around his waist.

Arthur: What are you doing. I will be the one to risk my life.

Gwaine: Please Arthur. There no need to get jealous.

Arthur scoffs and grabs the other end of the rope.

Arthur: Gwaine you cant die again-

Gwaine: Save your sob story for later sire.

Gwaine tugs on the rope to ask without speaking if arthur is ready to support his weight.

Arthur stands firmly holding the rope tight and nods.

The moonlight shines through the roof of the cave, barely any other light surrounding them.

Gwaine takes a deep breath and stands on the edge of the cliff. Arthur holds firm and Gwaine begins to turn around to reach his foot over to the other side.

Arthur begins losing grip at the weight.

Arthur: G-Gwaine...hurry up?!

Gwaine feels the rope slack a little and in a panic he jumps and holds the ledge. The rope slips off his waist and at the same time Arthur loses grip. The rope falls deep down in the pit.

Arthur: GWAINE?!

Gwaine struggles and holds tight, hanging from what might be death...again

Arthur punches the ground and watches in horror. Hes watching his own scene play out a second time.

Gwaine grunts and pulls with all his might, but he just cant find the strength...that is until...

A light appears.

Arthur looks at that same familiar light he once saw before and smiles and chuckles.

Arthur: Merlin you idiot...

Gwaine looks at the light, and there reflecting back is percival...laid still but breathing hard and struggling.

Gwaine grunts and finally he finds the strength to pull himself up, he manages to sit comfortably in a crater of the wall. He pants out of breath and looks back at Arthur.

Gwaine: Is this your maidens doing?

Arthur cant find it in him to get angry at that comment, he just laughs and smiles.

Gwaine chuckles also and looks up at the flower.

Gwaine: Bit of climbing never hurt no one...

Arthur: Gwaine wait....let me go get Aithusa we might need-

Again like mutliple times this journey their words were cut short and spiders as big as skunks begin emerging from the darkness.

Gwaine: Oh, come ONNNN NOW?!?

Arthur: ILL GO GET AITHUSA GWAINE JUST FIGHT THEM OFF

Arthur runs out the way they came and Gwaine draws out his sword. His breathing quickens and he looks either side of him, Arthur wont get back within seconds, he needs to fight.

Gwaine glances at the light again. He's seeing percival differently...why is it that his heart aches, that he feels like giving up yet trying his hardest. Hes confused

Gwaine: What in gods name is toying with my head...I'm going to save you.

Gwaine begins fighting off the spiders one by one and darts up the wall to make his way to the flower.

One hand on the wall, the other slaying with his sword. Gwaines breath grew tireder and tireder. The flower is so close now. The light follows him and as he keeps glancing, he gets more and more frustrated

Gwaine: ughhHHHH MERLIN! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME WITH THIS?! WHAT BENIFIT DOES THIS BRING ME. WATCHING HIM AND KNOWING THAT IM SO CLOSE BUT STILL TOO WEAK TO KEEP GOING?!

Gwaine yells loud and the walls just echo back...silence falls and nothing but the pitter patter of spiders legs can be heard. They close in closer and closer and Gwaine cant find it in him to raise his sword again... hes clutching for dear life at this point yet not sign of struggle or any emotion can be found on his face.

Gwaine: Whats happening to me... hes just a friend Gwaine....hes just....

Spiders are closing in, a leg touches Gwaine on the arm and hes too busy in his own thoughts to notice. His eyes are shut tight.

Gwaine: I cant be in love with a man...

Suddenly a flash of light and hot air surround Gwaine.

Gwaine sheilds his face.

Arthur: WHAT KIND OF FIGHT IS THIS GWAINE. GIVING UP JUST BECAUSE YOU DINT KNOW WHAT YOURE FEELING?! YOURE A KNIGHT, A MAN OF NOBILITY AND BRAVERY

Gwaine opens his eyes slowly and looks at the light once more.

Arthur is stood with Aithusa both looking over at Gwaine concerned.

Arthur: PUT YOUR THOUGHTS AWAY AND ASK YOURSELF THE YES OR NO QUESTION. DO YOU WANT HIM DEAD OR ALIVE. MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

Arthurs words cut Gwaine deeply but deep enough to spark his courage, his will to keep trying. Gwaine lets out a yell and drops his sword down to the crater below. He rips off his gloves with his teeth and climbs higher.

Aithusa burns any spiders that come close and the light floats above the flower. Gwaine doesnt know what hes feeling but he certainly answered the main question, he wants, no, needs Percvial to live.

Gwaine just inches away reaches for the flower, but before he could a spider jumps onto his leg.

Arthur: GWAINE LOOK OUT

Gwaine begins kicking against the wall with all his might but the kicking is resulting him to lose his grip on the wall. Aithusa cant burn the spider without burning Gwaine.

Gwaine grunts and launches him self up but he slips causing him to flip backwards. He kicks his leg and the spider flies, Aithusa doesnt miss a trick and burns the spider mid air. Arthur leans over the ravine and grabs Gwaines arm. The two grunt and struggle until Aithusa helps by pulling Gwaine up by his cape.

All fall back, Gwaine and Arthur our of breath.

Arthur: Ill go this time Gwaine... you tried.

Gwaine sits up and then comes to a stand.

Gwaine: We only need one of them right?

Arthurs brows furrow in confusion until Gwaine opens his hand, and sure enough there he holds the flower.

Arthur: Well ill be....

Gwaine chuckles and Arthur smiles.

Gwaine looks back towards the light as it slowly fades and dissappears.

Gwaine: Lets get out of here, this place gives me the creeps.

Arthur chuckles and all three exit the caves.